WAN drops every few hours

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-22 13:12:47
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1

I have a "Static IP" WAN connection via an old Cisco SPA122 ATA with Router that's been running for years without problem connected to an Apple Time Capsule.  I recently replaced the Time Capsule and replicated the config details on a new ER605 that I control from Omada controller software 5.3.1 along with two APs.  All works perfectly for several hours, but then the WAN stops moving packets and Internet connection is lost.  I believe, but not sure, that the device's WAN status remains "Online" even though packets aren' moving.  I am not interacting with the Omada software or even at a computer when this happens.  Every time, the connection works again after I reboot the ER605.  I tried initially with the Online Detection Interval set to 2 minutes, changed to Disabled, no effect on this issue.

It's too hard to imagine this is coincidental with ISP outages, since it works again each time after rebooting the ER605.

Is there anything I can try to clear this up?  Are the firmware developers aware of this issue? Is there any diagnostic information I can share with the developers?  Is a new firmware after 2.0.1 available or in beta?

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions.  I obviously can't be rebooting this device every few hours.

Options
10 Reply
Re:WAN drops every few hours
2022-06-23 03:07:50 - last edited 2022-06-23 03:13:17

Dear @watou,

watou wrote

I have a "Static IP" WAN connection via an old Cisco SPA122 ATA with Router that's been running for years without problem connected to an Apple Time Capsule.  I recently replaced the Time Capsule and replicated the config details on a new ER605 that I control from Omada controller software 5.3.1 along with two APs.  All works perfectly for several hours, but then the WAN stops moving packets and Internet connection is lost.  I believe, but not sure, that the device's WAN status remains "Online" even though packets aren' moving.  I am not interacting with the Omada software or even at a computer when this happens.  Every time, the connection works again after I reboot the ER605.  I tried initially with the Online Detection Interval set to 2 minutes, changed to Disabled, no effect on this issue.

So the ER605 router is connected behind the old Cisco SPA122 ATA router, and its WAN connection is set with "Dynamic IP", right?

If possible, you may visit the controller and check the CPU/Memory of the ER605 router to see whether there are abnormal changes before the WAN drops. In addition, check the Log and find the related logs for analysis.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-06-23 08:25:01

Fae wrote

So the ER605 router is connected behind the old Cisco SPA122 ATA router, and its WAN connection is set with "Dynamic IP", right?

If possible, you may visit the controller and check the CPU/Memory of the ER605 router to see whether there are abnormal changes before the WAN drops. In addition, check the Log and find the related logs for analysis.

@Fae Thanks for replying.  The WAN connection is set with "Static IP" and not "Dynamic IP" because my ISP issued me a static IP and this is also how it was set in the Apple Time Capsule configuration.

I've checked the controller charts to see only Traffic and Packets went to 0 on the last outage, but no visible oddities about memory and CPU.  The only logs I can find are focused on the controller, not the ER605, and only flag up the issues related to consequences of the controller losing access to the cloud connection.  Are there ER605-specific logs somewhere in my setup that might contain root causes of the outages?

I really appreciate your helping me diagnose this.

Regards

Options
2022-07-07 07:47:31

@watou This error held off for several days, but returned: connection stops working with nothing in the logs and only a reboot of the ER605 will fix it.  It may be 3 days or more before it happens again, with packets not moving.  A reboot of the router fixes the problem every time, but that's not sustainable.

Are they any other users using a Static IP route that have this problem?  Any suggested workarounds or new firmware releases on the horizon?  Thank you.

Options
2022-07-07 13:14:52

@watou 

Hmm... This is very interesting.  Is there a reason you still have the SPA up front?  Not put it behind the 605?  

Also, I would configure the SPA to a remote syslog server and see what it spits out when the 605 goes under.  The 605 is not passing traffic probably something flaky is happening on the SPA device.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-07-07 13:20:49

@KimcheeGUN Thank you very much for your suggestion.  Much appreciated.

My ISP decided to put the SPA in front, and since it's their equipment, I have just gone along with it because for years it never showed any issue when my router was the old Apple Time Capsule sitting in the same position and with the same static IP/netmask/default route.

Options
2022-07-07 13:24:02

@watou 

Yeah some router do not like to be double nat'ed, thats why I was asking.  MOST older devices didnt care, but now, most devices can detect it.  

Does that SPA device have a DMZ option?  You could put that 605 in the SPA's DMZ, if possible?

If that doesn't, I would swap the device and put the static in the 605 and put the SPA device in the 605 DMZ.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-07-07 13:35:12

@KimcheeGUN I know the SPA has a public IP and then routes to my 605 and its public IP.  Since the SPA is ISP-owned equipment, I doubt that they want to put it on my side of my router.  But you've made me think that maybe that old SPA may just not be a great router if something about the packets has changed when I switched from the Time Capsule to the 605, and rebooting the 605 only has the side-effect of clearing the SPA's problem?  In other words it takes two to tango, and maybe the 605 has only surfaced an issue in the SPA?

My obstacle now is that the ISP would have to come out and re-plumb the WAN connection somehow, since I have no admin access beyond my router.  I've been very happy with my ISP, but if fiber comes around soon from a competitor, this will all be a moot issue.

Options
2022-07-08 02:14:02

Dear @watou,

watou wrote

This error held off for several days, but returned: connection stops working with nothing in the logs and only a reboot of the ER605 will fix it.  It may be 3 days or more before it happens again, with packets not moving.  A reboot of the router fixes the problem every time, but that's not sustainable.

How about your network size? Are there any applications/servers with high flow requirements running in your network, making the sessions filled and resulting in the connection stop working?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-07-08 08:06:43

Fae wrote

How about your network size? Are there any applications/servers with high flow requirements running in your network, making the sessions filled and resulting in the connection stop working?

It's a small home+office network with meager Internet traffic, and the WAN failures have happened around roughly 4am or when no one is actively using the network.  It doesn't seem coincident with any particular usage pattern.  If anything were logged it would be helpful, but when it fails all one can see is 0% Gateway usage on the Omada dashboard instead of the typical 1.2% (varies) usage, and no packets moving to/from the WAN.

Thanks for your thoughts and attention!

Options
2022-07-11 02:31:59

Dear @watou,

watou wrote

It's a small home+office network with meager Internet traffic, and the WAN failures have happened around roughly 4am or when no one is actively using the network.

Thank you for your valuable information. So far, it's hard to say it's the ER605 router issue or the ISP issue. According to the time when the problem occurred, it sounds like a regular maintenance in the network, administrators usually maintain the network equipments during a time period where the network is free.

If possible, next time when the WAN failures on ER605, you may unplug the ER605, then connect a PC directly to your ISP modem with the same static IP to confirm whether you can get Internet access from your ISP successfully and steadily.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 583

Replies: 10