New tp_link Mac addresses after upgrade firmware?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-03 13:00:54 - last edited 2022-07-03 13:08:01
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.15.2

At some point 3 new tp-link mac addresses appear (no new devices added) Two Mac addresses do have an identical IP address! (see screenshot attached pdf page 1).

I noticed these new mac addresses for the first time some day's after upgrading the two EAP615 devices but I can not identify any relation with these EAP615 devices.....

Especially in the user IP network and IOT network I do regularly check for unknown addresses and i did not add any TP-link devices (all TP-link devices do have a mac bound IP address in our setup)

I tried to identify the origin of these TP-link MAC addresses, they are identified as clients of the router. I do have 4 EAP's (2x EAP610 and 2x EAP 615) and 2 switches so with 3 MAC addresses no relation to EAP's or switches (I would have expected 2 or 4 and not 3 MAC addresses)

The IP addresses are belonging to the user network (a non Guest WIFI network) and not the "device network" (see device screenshot attached pdf page 2)

Page 3 is the map of the network for your information

I could not find any direction so therefore this new thread.....

Question: To what device(s) do these mac addresses belong and why are there two identical ip addresses?

I hope to you can give me some insight in the purpose of these MAC and IP addresses.

regards jandico

File:
new_tp-link-MAC addresses.pdfDownload
Options
5 Reply
Re:New tp_link Mac addresses after upgrade firmware?
2022-07-05 05:58:52

@jandico 

Suggest that you can compare and check if these three MACs are the MACs of your clients.

Because under certain circumstances, for example when it is some clients connected to the SSID of the EAP, but at this time the EAP is in a state where it has just been powered up and has not yet been assigned an IP address. The router will assume that these clients are connected to the gateway.

Also, are the three MAC addresses always displayed, or do they disappear after a while?
Under what circumstances will they disappear? Reboot or reconnect?

Is this an issue you can reproduce consistently? Maybe it's just an occasional problem, as I've never had this happen with my device.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-07-05 08:57:49

@Virgo 

Thanks for your reply!

The 3 MAC and IP addresses are always there (starting May). I did really look for similar mac addresses, as i could not find any I searched for manufacture ownership of these MAC addresses. TP-link owns MAC addresses in the block starting with "86-16-F9" this is why i raised a question if tis could be something belonging to my current TP-link Omada devices. For your information, I replaced the complete old network infrastructure (Manufacture spaghetti) in February with TP-link Omada only.

Being on vacation I just remembered I did had a TP-link range extender in a almost never used shack. After replacing my complete network infrastructure I am now not sure if this device has been removed. I will have a look when I am back home.

Options
2022-08-22 10:24:25

Dear @jandico,

jandico wrote

At some point 3 new tp-link mac addresses appear (no new devices added) Two Mac addresses do have an identical IP address! (see screenshot attached pdf page 1).

I noticed these new mac addresses for the first time some day's after upgrading the two EAP615 devices but I can not identify any relation with these EAP615 devices.....

Especially in the user IP network and IOT network I do regularly check for unknown addresses and i did not add any TP-link devices (all TP-link devices do have a mac bound IP address in our setup)

I'm a bit interested in the issue you posted. Hope it's not too late to reply to your thread.

Was your concern finally resolved? Did you figure out what those 3 devices are?

Did you upgrade the router firmware before the issue start to occur?

What's the current firmware version of your ER7206 router?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-08-23 08:47:47

@Fae 

Still no clue where the MAC addresses belong to. I expected the forgotten TP-link extender, it was active but with different MAC addresses.

There are still two similar MAC addresses suggesting direct attached (wired) to the router and using a WIFI identified IP address (original 3).

There is only 1 utp cable connected to the router;  connecting to the TL-SG2008P v3.0 ( 3.0.0 Build 20211201 Rel.56831)

Please find the current MAC address situation in the attached file.

The version of the ER7206 V1.0  is 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.77113

regards jandico

File:
Schermafbeelding 2022-08-23 om 10.23.08.pngDownload
Options
2022-08-24 02:24:32 - last edited 2022-08-24 02:25:11

Dear @jandico,

jandico wrote

Still no clue where the MAC addresses belong to. I expected the forgotten TP-link extender, it was active but with different MAC addresses.

There are still two similar MAC addresses suggesting direct attached (wired) to the router and using a WIFI identified IP address (original 3).

Thank you for coming back with the updated information.

I can confirm that the MAC addresses that start with 84-16-F9 belongs to TP-Link, but those start with 86-16-F9 or 88-16-F9 doesn't (their vendor cannot be found, I guess they are random MAC addresses).

If you want to check what device it is, perhaps you may try blocking it from the Omada clients list and check which client in your network will lose the connection. And you can unblock the client under Insight -> Known Clients -> Blocked.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 498

Replies: 5

Related Articles