Can't reset switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't reset switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Can't reset switch
Can't reset switch
2022-07-16 01:23:53 - last edited 2022-07-18 10:20:22
Model: TL-SG3428  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.3

I accidentally applied a bad port profile to the switch causing it to lose access to the controller.

How can I reset the switch?

* The controller no longer has access.

* If I console in, it doesn't let me reset it because it is controller connected

* I have no IP access to the switch

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can't reset switch-Solution
2022-07-18 06:52:05 - last edited 2022-07-18 10:20:22

@Alex789 You can console in to the BootUI, to reset the switch. (so no need the IP or username/password)

Note you do not need to run the firmware image, just go to the BootUI.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3146/

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Can't reset switch
2022-07-16 12:03:22

@Alex789 

Hey

Did you try jacking into the controller via the 2nd LAN port?   That might let you into it directly via IP at which stage you can forget the switch then reset that way, manual IP on the connecting client is usually required.

I have had to do that before! 

Options
2022-07-16 12:32:06 - last edited 2022-07-16 12:32:43

@Philbert Thanks but I actually have the opposite problem.  I have access to the controller.  The controller doesn't have access to the switch.  I can forget the switch, but the controller can't notify it of the change.

Here is the situation.

• There are no longer any ports on the default/management network
  • As a result of the above there is no way to access the switch via IP
  • There is no physical reset button on the switch
  • There is no management port on the switch
  • There is a console port, but there is no way to reset the switch once it is adopted
  • I don't see any way to disconnect the switch from the controller in the console

So, basically, unless I am missing something, it is trivially easy to brick an Omada switch irreversibly.

Options
2022-07-16 12:39:17

@Alex789 

If you can console onto the switch, try the Device Account username / password as par the controller (Settings / Site then at bottom).  

That might get you into the switch?!!   Here is hoping.. if not then I would call the Omada support and see what they say, generally found them very good for things like this.     Link below for tel numbers.   Just change to your local region as im UK

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/contact-technical-support/

Options
2022-07-16 12:41:44

@Philbert I can get into the switch via the console port.  I just can't make any changes.  Once the switch it adopted, you can't make changes via the console it seems.

I can read all the counters or clear them.  I can view the switch configuration, but everything else is restricted.

Options
2022-07-16 13:25:55

@Alex789 

I would give the support line a ring mate, there has got to be a way around this one.

Thankfully i have been lucky enough to have controller access and only locked out the client ports!   Now ive said that of course it will happen on Monday :)

Options
Re:Can't reset switch-Solution
2022-07-18 06:52:05 - last edited 2022-07-18 10:20:22

@Alex789 You can console in to the BootUI, to reset the switch. (so no need the IP or username/password)

Note you do not need to run the firmware image, just go to the BootUI.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3146/

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-18 10:20:34

@Somnus Thanks for that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 393

Replies: 7

Related Articles