WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-28 13:55:30
Tags: #WPA
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.6

Hi There,

Once or twice a day, my garage door hub (Chamberlain MyQ) disconnects for 1-2hrs with this error.  It sometimes tries 1 AP, sometimes 2APs, this morning it was 2.  I attached some logging below.

What can I do to fix this?

[Failed]Garage Door Hub failed to connected to Main Floor with SSID "Smart Home Legacy" on channel 11 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

Jul 28, 2022 07:39:30  am

[Failed]Garage Door Hub failed to connected to Garage with SSID "Smart Home Legacy" on channel 11 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

Jul 28, 2022 07:39:05  am

[Failed]Garage Door Hub failed to connected to Upstairs with SSID "Smart Home Legacy" on channel 11 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

Jul 28, 2022 07:35:00  am

[Failed]Garage Door Hub failed to connected to Garage with SSID "Smart Home Legacy" on channel 11 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

Jul 28, 2022 05:01:34  am

[Failed]Garage Door Hub failed to connected to Main Floor with SSID "Smart Home Legacy" on channel 11 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

Jul 28, 2022 05:00:00  am

[Failed]Garage Door Hub failed to connected to Garage with SSID "Smart Home Legacy" on channel 11 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(2 times in a minute)

Jul 27, 2022 03:53:56  pm

Options
6 Reply
Re:WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)
2022-07-28 18:48:56

@MannyF 

I don't know that it's broken, and other than generating spurious logs, is there a material impact on the operation?  Does it really go offline for 2hrs??  

My guess is your garage hub has weak signal and that's causing the occasional WPA auth glitch.  If it is weak signal, then you should find a way to move the hub and/or nearest AP closer together, or just wire it.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-07-29 01:22:30

@d0ugmac1 

> Does it really go offline for 2hrs?

Yes, the app reports no connectivity to the hub for over 1hr at a time

> If it is weak signal, then you should find a way to move the hub and/or nearest AP closer together, or just wire it.

The device is about 15 feet with line of sight and has a great signal 

Options
2022-07-29 03:30:52

@MannyF 

LOL! ok, let's toss Theory #1 then :)

How about creating a unique SSID for your garage hub without encryption, but use MAC based authentication so only the hub can join it...then hide the SSID once all is working.  Maybe there's just something in the firmware of the hub that doesn't want to play nice with the tplink APs during the whole encryption dance that goes on.  You can fight it, or work on a workaround ;)

Options
2022-07-30 00:04:41

@d0ugmac1 - How safe is that option?  Couldn't someone see the device MAC address connecting to the network and spoof if? (I live downtown in a dense area)

> Maybe there's just something in the firmware of the hub that doesn't want to play nice with the tplink APs during the whole encryption dance that goes on

It actually worked fine when I got it for about 6 months, and seems to have started in the last 3 weeks. 

Options
2022-08-01 02:37:49

@MannyF 

Less than ideal, but there is some value in 'security by obscurity'.  They'd need to realized your particular MAC was connecting to a different network, one that is unadvertised--so they'd need to figure that out too.  You could apply other policies on top of the MAC auth, such as BW limiting or fixed routes etc. that would make the connection less than 'appetizing' for some your average drive-by wifi thief.

Options
2022-08-01 22:37:52 - last edited 2022-08-01 22:38:17

@d0ugmac1 Makes sense, I was about to look to set this up, and noticed there are several more and often multiple lines per device.   Not sure the MAC address is the best solution given there are multiple devices seeing this now.  

What is interesting is that Tablet #1 is failing, but I have 2 other exact same tablets that don't seem to have the issue (as of now).

[Failed]Tablet #1 failed to connected to Upstairs with SSID "Smart Home" on channel 36 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

Aug 01, 2022 01:06:47  pm

[Failed]Denon-AVR-S760H failed to connected to Upstairs with SSID "Smart Home" on channel 36 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(2 times in a minute)

Aug 01, 2022 11:31:47  am

[Failed]Garage Door Hub failed to connected to Garage with SSID "Smart Home Legacy" on channel 1 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(2 times in a minute)

Aug 01, 2022 07:34:35  am

[Failed]8A-B1-B8-40-5D-4E failed to connected to Main Floor with SSID "Internet" on channel 40 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

Jul 29, 2022 06:29:03  pm

[Failed]Basement Emporia failed to connected to Main Floor with SSID "Smart Home Legacy" on channel 1 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

Jul 30, 2022 08:54:16  pm

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 653

Replies: 6

Tags

WPA