Getting all my wired & wireless devices on the same network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-30 21:54:11 - last edited 2022-08-01 03:06:18
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

I have a three Deco X60 setup for mesh wi-fi in my home and that's working fine. But I also have about half a dozen wired devices (ethernet) incl a few PCs and a network printer. My ISP is Frontier FiOS and I have the FiOS router with its wi-fi turned off, since I use the Deco system. Problem is that my wired devices are on one network (192.168.254.0/24 supplied by the FiOS router's DHCP server) and and the wi-fi devices are on a different network (192.168.68.0/24 supplied by the Deco DHCP server). I'd like all my devices to be in the same Class C network space so, for instance, the wireless laptops can see the wired printer, file shares hosted by the wired PCs, etc... Note that my ISP "point of presence" is in my study, where the FiOS router and the main Deco X60 are also located. I also only use FiOS for internet access, no TV or phone service.

Here's how I thought I might solve this: Use the main Deco X60 in the study as my router/DHCP server (get rid of the FiOS router and plug its "upstream" ethernet directly into the main Deco X60). Use the second ethernet jack on the main Deco for a TP-Link TL-SG108 8 Port Gigabit switch and plug all my wired devices into that switch. I thought that way the Deco would be the only DHCP server in the environment and the only router, so everything would be on one Class C network space provided by the Deco. 

Alternatively I could have the main Deco as the only device plugged into my FiOS router and use the 8-port switch as described above. But I was wondering if that would offer any advantages and if I'd get in a double-NATed situation ?

Ideas ?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Getting all my wired & wireless devices on the same network-Solution
2022-07-31 00:18:33 - last edited 2022-08-01 03:06:18

@dphuff 

Both options should work. For second option, if you have apps or devices that don't like double NAT, you'll find it quickly. From these two options, I would choose the first one: with Deco running as a router, makes sense to get rid of FiOS router, if possible. Two routers are not better than one. 

At my house, I've chosen different option: I configured Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode and kept my ISP router. Everything is on the same network managed by ISP router. I can use all Ethernet ports of ISP router. I can have Main Deco anywhere at my house as long as it is wired to the home LAN. If I ever need to replace Deco mesh with different brand of WiFi mesh, I would not need to redo my home network configuration, such as IP range, static IP addresses, DHCP lease time.

I would recommend you try the same. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Getting all my wired & wireless devices on the same network-Solution
2022-07-31 00:18:33 - last edited 2022-08-01 03:06:18

@dphuff 

Both options should work. For second option, if you have apps or devices that don't like double NAT, you'll find it quickly. From these two options, I would choose the first one: with Deco running as a router, makes sense to get rid of FiOS router, if possible. Two routers are not better than one. 

At my house, I've chosen different option: I configured Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode and kept my ISP router. Everything is on the same network managed by ISP router. I can use all Ethernet ports of ISP router. I can have Main Deco anywhere at my house as long as it is wired to the home LAN. If I ever need to replace Deco mesh with different brand of WiFi mesh, I would not need to redo my home network configuration, such as IP range, static IP addresses, DHCP lease time.

I would recommend you try the same. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Getting all my wired & wireless devices on the same network
2022-07-31 01:40:24

@Alexandre. Thanks, the linked article provides answers to some questions I had about AP mode in a clear way. None of the Deco functions lost when run in AP mode are ones I use, so I may just try that first...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 454

Replies: 2

Related Articles