EAP Placement

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP Placement

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
EAP Placement
EAP Placement
2022-08-01 02:25:59
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Would like to convert my existing home network to Omada series network devices and have a question regarding access point placement. All Omada EAP devices say they are ceiling mount devices. I unfortunately cannot do that in my house. Can I place a EAP on top of a bookshelf, for example, with the device facing up towards the ceiling? 

Options
5 Reply
Re:EAP Placement
2022-08-01 19:56:10

@juryman 

One of my EAP660HDs is located on top of a cabinet in this 'down side up' position and it works very well. However the cabinet is only 26" tall and I would hasitate to place an AP in that position much higher than that above the floor.

Kris K
Options
2022-08-02 07:05:06

@juryman 

As far as I know, the EAP signal is mainly concentrated in the front panel, maybe that's why it's designed as a Ceiling mount?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-08-02 23:49:48

@juryman 

Yeah in with Virgo on this, the EAP is best "face on", couple of my engineers call these Claymore APs based on their spread pattern (point face to target).  

If you have it mounted pointing to the ceiling, it will work better upstairs than down.   Wall mounting is a good option, would that be possible?   or mount upstairs to blast down to ground floor?

Options
2022-08-04 01:57:52

@Philbert and everyone else who responded, thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately, for the main floor and the upstairs, ceiling and wall mounting is out of the question due to WAF. Not happening. For the basement, I can do a ceiling mount because, well, its the basement. 

If the Omada type EAP's would not be optimal for my situation (except for the basement) would something like the EAP225 outdoor work indoors? I can lay it flat on top of a bookshelf with the antennas pointing up. Or maybe a EAP wall mount on top of the bookshelf? 

I have already purchased a ER605 and a Jetstream switch because I have about 8 wired connections already running through the house, all terminating in a closet in the basement. Hence the need for a wired router. 

I really like the idea of central management with Omada, plus the added security. 

Another thought, although not preferred due to separate management apps, would be to stick with the Omada router and switch for wired and possibly one of the Deco mesh units for wireless. 

Thoughts? 

Options
2022-08-04 13:46:00

@juryman 

Hey

You appear to have answered your own question however, yes the EAP225 Outdoor would likely be the best solution for you.   It can be used indoor with no issues (i have before) and its omni directional antenna is likely good for your placements, personally thats the route i would be going if in your position, that way you can still use the full Omada range as you seem to desire.

Placing them flay with the antenna at a 90 degree straight up would work perfectly..

There is technically nothing stopping you using Deco units for this shoudl you want to go that way, but personally I would just stick with Omada range.  The Deco are more designed for home users and have some limitations that would reduce the feature set available to you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 631

Replies: 5

Related Articles