ER7206 - Multi-ISP setup not working properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-02 13:46:10 - last edited 2022-08-11 12:16:40
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.77113

Hi there, 

I bought the router to get at least a decent fail-over option and if possible increase the total speed for multiple clients.

1.00 gig ISP1

0.25 gig ISP2

my dream would be, if ISP1 could be used like all the time and if capacity is reached, any new client should use ISP2. And if ISP1 fails than ... you name it

Im using WAN/LAN1 and WAN/LAN2 (because easier to identify the numbers). Standard Dynamic IP setup, IPv4 routing works without issues (IPv6 not so much but more on that later).

Problems Ive encountered so far:

1. when using load-balancing without link-backup rules, both lines are used equally despite setting Downstream-Value to the correct numbers

2. performance in general is unpredictable, sometimes I get full 1gig, sometimes only a few Mbit (testing with multiple devices). Full 1gig is seldomly achieved, often the numbers are around 500Mbit in different speed-tests.

3. when using online-detection (manual, using Google DNS as ping and dns target), and I disconnect one of the ISPs (so that the link to the ER7206 stays active), than the line will be shown as offline, but will never recover to online, no matter what I do

4. using no load-balancing but link-backup rule, the back-up line will be used all the time and when I disconnect backup line, nothing works anymore (primary WAN is not used despite being online

5. IPv6 is not working because Im not able to enter any IPv6 address (invalid format)

any suggestions if I have any options to achieve my dream? Or is it like impossible? 

Tomorrow the OC200 will arrive (together with some EAP APs) so if that can help please point this out as well. But I was hoping standalone would perform on the same level.

Ive noticed that I have HW1.0, but I got it today from amazon. Is it possible that there are newer revisions which are improved/better? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER7206 - Load-Balancing not working, explanation of load-balancing modes-Solution
2022-08-11 12:16:37 - last edited 2022-08-11 12:16:40

Ok the final answer from TP-Link is, that they have no clue how Load-Balancing works, just that there is a "distinct set of algorithms".

But TP-Link is neither willing to explain the difference between the two LB-modes (application-LB and ??? ) nor will or can they explain why it is not working as it is supposed to (regarding how "real" LB works). I mean they are telling me 500Mbit maximum total speed is to be expected.... but not why. 

So in essence, if you have a 1gig WAN connection, you should not enable Load-Balancing on ER605 and ER7206, as it will render the 1gig connection useless.

And now knowing that everything is IPv4 only (there is no support for IPv6 Load-Balancing or Link-Backup), Im not so shure if I can recommend them any longer.

Lets see if the ER8411 will change some things, because when I can finally upgrade my WAN to 10gig, I need some new options.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:ER7206 - Multi-ISP setup not working properly
2022-08-02 13:52:06 - last edited 2022-08-02 13:53:40

@RobertMEF 

So here's my main question... Can you confirm you will be saturating 1G speeds while in production?  

Also, have you bypassed the Omada router and tested the ISP speed connected directly?  Confirming the ISP is stable?

Also is the router's firmware completely updated??

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-08-02 13:56:18 - last edited 2022-08-02 14:06:50

@KimcheeGUN 

I was using 1gig ISP all the time without any issues. Speedtests where averaging at 950-970 Mbit without any drops.

the second ISP averages at around 260-270 Mbit but has some stability issues (line disconnects like once a week, thats the primary reason Im doing all of this)

edit: yes, latest Firmware release

Options
2022-08-02 16:47:27

Update about the speed issue while load-balance is active without backup ports defined and all ports online:

I have connected the WiFi6 mesh to the first LAN-port and the switch for all wired devices is hooked up to the second LAN port, so in theory it should be possible to get more than 1gig of line-speed (when computer is using 1gig, then smartphone should get the remainder of 250Mbit), correct? 

But when doing this, the smartphone is literally interrupting the download from the PC (speed on PC drops from 950mbit to zero and recovers very slowly) and looking into the 250Mbit modem, no bandwith is used at all.

So in this state, my network performance overall is worse compared to having everthing simply hooked up to the 1gig ISP.

Options
2022-08-03 08:53:00

@RobertMEF 

Note that if you use the link backup function, the load balancing will be not active. It is designed such like this.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-08-03 09:26:43

@Virgo 

just one hour ago, TP-Link support was writing the exact opposite to me. So who is right?

I dunno, there is no documentation on this. 

But because the link-backup is not working at all (using backup instead of primary, not routing back to primary when backup is offline, not reenabeling offline-ports when they are back online), it is currently fully unusable as is. Way to many bugs in the firmware.

So therefore Im only using Load-Balancing with Application-based and bandwidth based enabled. But still having lots of issues

Options
Re:ER7206 - Load-Balancing not working, explanation of load-balancing modes-Solution
2022-08-11 12:16:37 - last edited 2022-08-11 12:16:40

Ok the final answer from TP-Link is, that they have no clue how Load-Balancing works, just that there is a "distinct set of algorithms".

But TP-Link is neither willing to explain the difference between the two LB-modes (application-LB and ??? ) nor will or can they explain why it is not working as it is supposed to (regarding how "real" LB works). I mean they are telling me 500Mbit maximum total speed is to be expected.... but not why. 

So in essence, if you have a 1gig WAN connection, you should not enable Load-Balancing on ER605 and ER7206, as it will render the 1gig connection useless.

And now knowing that everything is IPv4 only (there is no support for IPv6 Load-Balancing or Link-Backup), Im not so shure if I can recommend them any longer.

Lets see if the ER8411 will change some things, because when I can finally upgrade my WAN to 10gig, I need some new options.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1194

Replies: 7