TP-Link ER7206 - Does this non-Wifi Router have something similar to Wifi Parental Control?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link ER7206 - Does this non-Wifi Router have something similar to Wifi Parental Control?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-08 01:36:57 - last edited 2022-08-08 01:46:13
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20220117 Rel.74491

Hello TP-Link forum. 

My ER7206 has been working since January quite flawlessly and I am very happy with it. 

I have a situation where some family are staying and we want to set a time that the internet cuts off for the kids.

With my brother's Wifi modem there is the standard "Parental Controls" which allow you to simply turn them on/off and set a time for specific IP connections etc. 

I don't see that same menu in the ER7206 menus. I assume because it is a business level router.

Though, there are some similar things mentioned like behavior control or time control which allows me to set a time range but isn't specific about which IP or mac address to use when implementing the time limit. It isn't as straightforward as the Parental Control section on your WiFi setups. 

What would be the most optimal way to set this behavior up in the ER7206?

What section or combination of sections would I use? 

Thanks.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-Link ER7206 - Does this non-Wifi Router have something similar to Wifi Parental Control?
2022-08-08 12:48:02

@CaseyCBenn 

If you are using the router standalone, they have some options in Behavior Control > Web Filtering but you would have to find lists online to use and I think it would still be far from perfect.

Instead I would suggest dividing your clients into two separate LANs. You can keep using your current DNS for the LAN that has unrestricted clients. The LAN that has restricted clients can be setup to use a more controlled DNS lookup such as OpenDNS Family Shield or Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 for Families. 

Hope this helps and let me know if you need more detail on any specific piece.

Options
Re:TP-Link ER7206 - Does this non-Wifi Router have something similar to Wifi Parental Control?
2022-08-09 18:19:48
Thats one of the downsides of using Omada-SDN. In standalone-mode you can use time-ranges for policy routing. Simply put: create a policy route with an invalid destination for example (127.0.0.1) and a specifc time-range. In Omada you can set a policy-route but there is no way to apply a time-range.
Options
2022-08-29 18:14:30

@dsj Thanks for your reply. 

I ended up getting busy and just unplugged the switch to the computer area once it was time for the kids to get off of the computers. 

Now I do want to try and figure this out and make the ER7206 switch on and off certain IPs between allotted times.

I am not sure what you mean by using "OpenDNS Family Shield or Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 for Families".

Is this a separate piece of software that I install? 

Options
2022-08-29 21:37:10

@CaseyCBenn 

You won't be able to use the original suggestions I had since you want to apply it on a time-based schedule. Here are some links to learn more in case you're interested even though they may not help due to the lack of scheduling.

opendns-com/setupguide/#familyshield

blog.cloudflare-com/introducing-1-1-1-1-for-families/

Since you want to apply scheduling, you will likely need to work within the router settings themselves. Here are the steps as I understand them.

Create a new time range in Preferences > Time Range. The manual option lets you easily define time periods in a visual week calendar.

Create an IP Group in Preferences > IP Group to cover the devices in question.

Setup the content you want to restrict in Behavior Control > Web Filtering > Web Group OR in Behavior Control > Web Filtering > URL Filtering. You'll need to explore both options to see which meets your needs better and makes it easier to manage.

Apply the restrictions you setup to the devices in Behavior Control > Web Filtering > Web Group Filtering.

You can check the tooltips in each of these sections or the manual to help you with specifics. Hope this helps!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 984

Replies: 4

Related Articles