ER605 Disconnects Internet When Controller Upgraded or restarted

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-09 11:42:07 - last edited 2022-08-09 11:45:19
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hi There,

When an upgrade is done to the offsite controller / rebooting the controller some sites lose connectivity to the internet.

Problematic site is running an ER605 V1 with firmware V 1.2.1.  Is this expected behavior?  A long time UniFi user and attempting to start to use the Omada line for certian jobs where the product fits.  

This morning I updated my controller and then this site went offline for a few minutes after the upgrade.  It always comes back but it shows provisioning/ configuring, then all of the APs and switches drop offline for a few minutes and eventually all come back online.  I can confirm internet connectivity is lost while this happens.

If further details required I will provide

Thanks,

B.

Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605 Disconnects Internet When Controller Upgraded or restarted
2022-08-10 01:17:57

Dear @BrnM,

BrnM wrote  

This morning I updated my controller and then this site went offline for a few minutes after the upgrade.  It always comes back but it shows provisioning/ configuring, then all of the APs and switches drop offline for a few minutes and eventually all come back online.  I can confirm internet connectivity is lost while this happens. 

Thank you for posting your query in TP-Link Community!

To better assist you, please allow me to check the following information first:

Are you using Omada Software Controller or OC200/OC300? May I know the controller version before and after the upgrade?

Can you still recall the detailed procedure when you upgrade the controller? Did you restart the ER605 router?

Did the Omada devices (ER605, APs and Switches) come back online automatically after a while, or did you have to do something?

Does the issue now occur as a loop after you upgraded the controller, or it just happened once?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-08-17 12:03:49

Hi  @Fae .

My Controller is hosted on a VM running Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS located in the cloud, unrelated to the networks that experienced the outages.

Controller Version Pre Upgrade- 5.0.30

Controller Version Post Upgrade- 5.4.6

ER605 v1.0  Firmware V1.21

TL-SG2428P v4.0 Firmware 4.0.1

Each site connected with an ER605 Hardware V1 or Hardware V2 lost connectivity during / after the upgrade and following the reboot.  I am not meaning they lost connectivity to the controller (that is expected), they actually lost connectivity to the internet following the upgrade of the controller.  They all came back without intervention but some were off as long as 5+ minutes.  Is this behavior expected and normal or is there a problem?  If this is expected behavior then perhaps your software engineers need to take another look at how things happen and address it.  It will be difficult to grow a customer base in the Omada line if this will continue to happen with upgrades to the controller.

This is not an adopting / configuring loop, it only happened after the controller was upgraded once.  I can reboot the controller off hours and see if it happens each time it reboots if this is helpful.

Thanks,

B.

Options
2022-08-18 07:17:36

Dear @BrnM,

Thank you for coming back with the detailed information.

Generally speaking, the internet will be disconnected momentarily after the controller gets restarted, but it should be automatically recovered quickly after adopting and provisioning, so the internet disconnection is nearly unnoticeable. Is there anything in common at the sites which were off as long as 5+ minutes? I haven't noticed such feedback before, if convenient, please try to reboot the controller and see if the issue can be steadily reproduced on those sites. Thanks!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-08-23 10:43:12

@Fae 

Perhaps it was an issue with the upgrade to the new version.  I rebooted the controller twice and was unable to replicate the issue.

Thanks,

Brandon.

Options
2022-08-24 01:37:56

Dear @BrnM,

BrnM wrote

Perhaps it was an issue with the upgrade to the new version.  I rebooted the controller twice and was unable to replicate the issue.

Thank you for coming back with the information. I haven't found such feedback before, if the issue only happened once in your network, you may keep monitoring and feel free to update this post for further assistance.

Options