Seamless Roaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Seamless Roaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Seamless Roaming
Seamless Roaming
2022-08-11 13:18:11 - last edited 2022-08-12 07:05:17
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have three questions about Omada Seamless Roaming:

1) Will it work if I use EAPs with different speed ratings??

For example, suppose that I have one EAP610 (1,2Mbps) and one EAP650 (2,4Mbps) and If I go from the EAP650 area to the EAP610 area, the Seamless Roaming will work? (obviusly, the maximum speed will be smaller, but the connection will drop?)

2) To use Seamless Roaming, the EAPs need to be operating on mesh mode?

All of them will be hardwired with CAT6 cable. I still need to enable Mesh Mode to use Seamless Roaming?

3) To use Seamless Roaming, I need to use an OMADA ROUTER?

I'm planning on using the ISP Router (not TP-LINK), and buying only: Omada Switch + Omada Hardware Controller + Omada EAPs

I will be able to use Seamless Roaming?

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Seamless Roaming-Solution
2022-08-11 14:18:04 - last edited 2022-08-12 07:05:17

@RTMC I'll let the experts reply here, but from my experience:

1) Yes, you can use multiple combinations of EAP, as long as they support wireless roaming, and both of your models do. There should be no drop in connection.

2) No, they do not need Mesh to be enabled on the controller. I have Mesh disabled and Fast / AI Roaming enabled, and all EAPs are hard wired with CAT6 cable.

3) No, you do not need a router for it all to work. That was my setup for some time until I bought one. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Seamless Roaming-Solution
2022-08-11 14:18:04 - last edited 2022-08-12 07:05:17

@RTMC I'll let the experts reply here, but from my experience:

1) Yes, you can use multiple combinations of EAP, as long as they support wireless roaming, and both of your models do. There should be no drop in connection.

2) No, they do not need Mesh to be enabled on the controller. I have Mesh disabled and Fast / AI Roaming enabled, and all EAPs are hard wired with CAT6 cable.

3) No, you do not need a router for it all to work. That was my setup for some time until I bought one. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Seamless Roaming
2022-08-11 15:49:20

@RTMC 

The main thing you will want to look into is signal.

You will need enough overlapping wifi signals between APs.

I usually do wireless site surveys... When 2.4ghz hits -70, I usually put another AP.  That gives you enough over-lapping signal so the client can roaming properly.

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 338

Replies: 2

Related Articles