How to update Omada software in Docker on Raspberry PI 4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-12 05:17:46 - last edited 2022-08-13 05:31:06

Hello all

I'm using the Omada sofware in Docker on a raspberry pi 4, but can't seem to figure out how to update the Omada software. Is there a guide og maybe someone that can help me? Do I loos all the settings and data in Omada when updating?

any help much appreciated

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to update Omada software in Docker on Raspberry PI 4
2022-08-12 15:07:56 - last edited 2022-08-13 05:31:06

@Mr.J.D 

I've been using mbentley's docker image since 5.0.30.  My upgrade path has simply been to download the new image, backup the existing controller settings (and optionally data for X days) to my laptop, stop the existing container, start the new container, login and blow through the setup options...doesn't really matter what you put in, and then restore the config from the backup you took from the old one.  Each time it's come up and everything has been fully adopted and kept going.

I did have an issue with one of the latest versions crashing and staying corrupted after a day or two (there's a thread here), but I wound up just downloading the latest latest image, making a new container and using the original backup file to restore with (wish I'd taken a backup as soon as I'd done the upgrade...but live and learn).  In this case the devices did not auto adopt and I had to reset each one of them, of particular pain was the ER605 since I was using a subnet other than 192,168.0.0/24...so I had to setup the new subnet in standalone mode first.  Anyways, eventually back up and running.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-08-13 05:43:29

@d0ugmac1 
Thanks I really appreciate you input - and your way sounds like something I'll try. Of course do a complete backup of the docker system first just in case, and backup of the settings and data in Omada. You mentcint you had some problems with a Omada version, witch version was that? 
Also when you stop the exsiting docker container, do you have to (in omada) click "Forget device" so the new docker with omada can adopt the devices (I also have the ER605) my switch iis TL-SG2218 and AP EAP245

Again thanks for you help

Options
2022-08-13 17:24:04

@Mr.J.D 

Mr.J.D wrote

do you have to (in omada) click "Forget device" so the new docker with omada can adopt the devices (I also have the ER605) my switch iis TL-SG2218 and AP EAP245

You definitely shouldn't need/want to do that.  Generally the data your are storing in docker is in a separate location from the image itself.  So when you update the image, you connect it to the existing data volumes.

Options
2022-08-14 20:49:37

@Alex789 Thank you for your input - I'll have to try it. But make a Backup first I think yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4274

Replies: 4

Related Articles