Can I use 1 CAT5e for both my internet and phone from my Omada Gateway, Switch & EAP225-Wall

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I use 1 CAT5e for both my internet and phone from my Omada Gateway, Switch & EAP225-Wall

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-23 16:59:45
Model: EAP225-Wall  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 5.0.3

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you can help me figure this out. Is it possible to pass-thru phone line from my gateway to my eap225-wall. Our house already has cables embedded in the concrete walls and there is no way for me to add new lines, not unless I take down the walls. Please see photo below for reference. Thank you so much. If you have suggestions or ideas, please let me know, it is highly appreciated. 

Topology:

Internet -> Fiber Modem -> ER605 -> SG2210P -> EAP225-WALL

JP

Options
5 Reply
Re:Can I use 1 CAT5e for both my internet and phone from my Omada Gateway, Switch & EAP225-Wall
2022-08-23 23:26:41

@PiLYo1 

Hey

Sadly I cant see this working for you, its not possible to pass a telephone signal down via network hardware (switches and router).   You can use a cat5 cable to directly patch a telephone line, but not in the way you have anticipated with both signals going through hardware.

Would a dual handset wireless DECT phone work for you?  Have the base station at the router and the 2nd handset where you need it?   Usually cordless phones have a really good range due to the low bandwidth requirements.

Options
Re:Can I use 1 CAT5e for both my internet and phone from my Omada Gateway, Switch & EAP225-Wall
2022-08-24 03:41:17 - last edited 2022-08-24 03:49:33

@Philbert Thanks for the suggestion of the wireless phones. That will work.

OPTION 1:

As of th moment, I have been researching. What I could do is split the CAT5e wire from the switch to the EAP225-Wall to make 100mbps connection and use the unused twisted pair to use for the landline. Since the max uplink port of eap225-wall is 10/100mbps, I would be having 2 twisted pairs that are unused, I can just use the brown line for the phone line.

OPTION 2:

I was also thinking if Its possible setup another WAN port  at the Gateway a VLAN dedicated to the phoneline and assign a specific port at the EAP225-Wall to use the same VLAN assignment for the phoneline using RJ45. What do you think?  

Options
2022-08-24 15:01:14

@PiLYo1 

The key issue here is the phone. I’m not familiar with PLDT FIBR, but I suspect the phone is analog. If that’s true, forget any option, like OPTION 2,  that involves the switches or AP. However OPTION 1 may work if you are willing to sacrifice 1Gbps. Note that the AP is POE powered so you will cut off power to the AP if you split the cable. You need to address this issue, too.

Still the solution proposed by Philbert is much cleaner than that in my opinion. Alternatively, you may check with your ISP if they offer any IP phone solutions.

Kris K
Options
2022-08-24 20:05:05

@PiLYo1 

KJK is correct, it's not possible to push a telephony signal along the same cable as a data signal.    Yes you could do some fancy jiggery with the individual colours, but soon as you plug this into a network switch it will kill any telephony traffic.

The switch can only encapsulate network traffic, namely TCP IP packets.  It wouldn't know what to do with the signals from an analogue telephone and would at best just ignore this and at worst, damage the switch.

Option 1 would remove the POE from the equation, the AP would likely not power on.

Option 2, the switch / router wouldnt know how to encapsulate the data from the telephone and would likely lock out the port (as mentioned earlier)

Sorry, honestly dont think this solution is going to work for you.

Options
2022-08-28 06:36:28

@Philbert Thanks. for this. I fully understand. I might just have to purchase a powerline to be able to addres this issue. Thanks for the help guys!

Options