Switches Password Changed after adopted by Omada Hardware Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-29 14:55:26
Model: TL-SG3452  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Switches Password Changed after adopted by Omada Hardware Controller and now unable to access switches. anyone knows how do I again access switch or how to reset switch password.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Switches Password Changed after adopted by Omada Hardware Controller
2022-08-29 15:09:44

@YogeshEcsion 

Hi.

if you adopt the switches, you cannot have access anymore to the switch via GUI due to the adoption.

Btw, the devices will take the credential that you find under: SETTINGS, SITE, DEVICE ACCOUNT.

Best Regards

Options
2022-08-29 19:31:57

Emitplink wrote

@YogeshEcsion 

Hi.

if you adopt the switches, you cannot have access anymore to the switch via GUI due to the adoption.

Btw, the devices will take the credential that you find under: SETTINGS, SITE, DEVICE ACCOUNT.

Best Regards

@Emitplink your reply is actually technically not correct. If you adopt switches, you do have access to the switch GUI, you just can not do anything with it as it is managed by omada where you see such picture:

Options
2022-08-30 04:49:24

@YogeshEcsion 

It will be changed to the Device Account that set up on the Controller. It can be found on the Controller Settings-->Site page(on the bottom)

I know this because in old days, somehow I accidently uninstalled the software controller. When I re-install I can't adopt the devices again since for the devices, it's a "new" controller, and they can't recognize it until I force adopting, but it asked me to put in username/password. I tried all the account I know like admin/admin or old controller login password, none work. So I have to reset all the devices to let them back to admin account.

Then I notice that when I install the controller and run it in the first time, it did let me set up "Device Account". I run a test that just try to adopt the "managed" EAP on another PC (a test new controller), and use the device account I set up, that's working!

Options
2022-08-31 03:00:02

@YogeshEcsion @Somnus  One wrinkle I noticed was that:

I backed up a previous version of controller running in a VM (docker), I created a new VM with the newer version and restored the backup, all devices were successfully reconnected without intervention.  However, that VM crashed and I could not restart the Omada SDN controller.  So, I created a second new VM with the latest version, and re-applied the same backup file I had used on the first, but all the devices refused to be managed by the new instance.

From this I deduce that new controllers, will import the previous admin info for device management, but once they begin managing them, they also CHANGE that admin account info.  Unfortunately, since I didn't yet have a backup of the VM that crashed, I could not recover the admin/password and so yes, I had to default each device and let it be adopted as 'new'.

I can't really call this a bug, it's for my own safety really (if this is what actually happens), but it would be good to have a tool to extract the admin account info from the mongoDB files, if that's possible.  

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options