Help with ER605: internal web server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-31 18:34:34
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.0

Hi,

I just bought a ER605 router to replace my old WRT150N. We do web development and we have a web server in-house. I’m unable to configure the router to stay inside the network when visiting our web server with our url. It works fine with the old Linksys. We don’t wan’t to use an internal DNS, since this was possible with the old Linksys without special DNS settings, it should be on this new ER605.

Can anyone tell me what setting to do ?

Hardware V2, Firmware 2.0.0. No VPN, No Omada controller.

I see that there’s a 2.0.1 firmware, but no mention that it fixes this kind of problem.

Thanks!

Options
12 Reply
Re:Help with ER605: internal web server
2022-09-01 05:33:59

@Stef_Funaro 

Are you able to visit your website from outside of the tplink network? If you can, it seems like a NAT loopback issue.

But anyway you should try to upgrade the firmware to the newest. Sometimes the note may not contains all updating. And you can downgrade the firwmare in any case if necessary.

Options
2022-09-01 13:55:31

@Somnus Yes, websites work from outside. Works from inside too, but go through the Internet to access it instead of staying inside the network. 

Will try to update the firmware today.

Thanks.

Options
2022-09-25 20:08:37

Tried updating the firmware to: ER605(UN)_v2_2.0.1 Build 20220223

The problem is still there, tried many settings, cannot make it work. Is there people from tp-link reading this forum ? Thinking of returning the product, we cannot use it like this. 

Options
2022-09-27 09:14:46 - last edited 2022-09-27 09:15:48

@Stef_Funaro 

are you saying you cannot access the web server url internally? like you type in the web server and you visit it from the wan/internet? 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-09-27 11:01:29 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:10:12

EDIT

Options
2022-09-27 14:17:47

@Tedd404 Yes. The server is internal, but when a computer on the local network goes to the URL of the server, we see that it goes through the web to serve the webpages. We see it because:
1. it's very slow (the webserver is one inch away from my laptop)
2. we see the visits logs of the web server and the visitor IP is not our internal IP
3. The apache server ask us a password, but is configured to let pass the internal IP adresses:
Deny from all
    Allow from 192.168.1.0/24
    Allow from 127

If we use the local IP of the server (http://192.168.1.135) it works fine.

We switch from our router to the other (old linksys and new tp-link), everything is OK with the old one. The domain name is not entered nowhere in the router's settings, we're sure of this because we recently added a new domain name and we didn't have to touch anything on the router to make it work. And we add new subdomains almost every week (each project gets it's subdomain). 

Thanks!

Options
2022-09-27 14:22:03

@btx There's no DNS server on our old linksys, but it works. Since the domain is pointing to our IP, the router should keep the traffic on the local network. 
No DNS is required internally, it's NAT loopback / NAT hairpin and this router should support it. 

Options
2022-09-28 09:53:37 - last edited 2022-09-28 09:54:58

@Stef_Funaro 

what are the primary dns on your wan settings? 

dns on your lan. is that default gateway?

this happens because DNS resolves your domain to a public one. local DNS server cannot resolve that domain because it found nothing. therefore you cannot access that domain  if you say you were using linksys, I remember that linksys was able to do something with the DNS. linksys/support-article?articleNum=164492

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-09-28 23:27:42

@Tedd404 The DNS are the one the ISP provides. Weird fact, I don't know if it's related, but the linksys gets the static IP and everything (DNS, gateway, subnet mask) automatically. The tp-link does not, he gets another dynamic IP. So I entered manually everything the linksys gets and it works. Except for the NAT loopback... I planned to see about that with the ISP, but since it works with manual setting, this is a lesser problem. 

I don't see any DNS settings in the linksys, since I curently use the linksys while I wait to find a fix for the tp-link, I can still browse the settings, I searched every page and don't see any special DNS setting.
Here are the DNS I have on the linksys, and I use exactly the same on the tp-link:

Thanks!

Thanks!

Options
2022-10-01 13:47:07

Ok, the official answer from tp-link support seems to say that NAT loopback is not supported by the ER605!

This should be supported by this kind of product, no ?

Can anyone recommend a product that supports it ? We really need to change our router quickly and really need NAT loopback. 
If we add an omada controller maybe ? Would that change anything ?

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1270

Replies: 12

Related Articles