ER605 and OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 and OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
ER605 and OpenVPN
ER605 and OpenVPN
2022-08-31 21:08:42
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ER605(UN)_V1.6_1.2.1 Build 20220512

Shopping for a ER605.  The market has both V1 and V2, and while I prefer the latter, not all vendors appear to be shipping V2, yet alone V2.6.

If I get a V1 and upgrade to the latest firmware, does this get OpenVPN support?

The User Manual for V1 does not include ref to OpenVPN.

Not finding any release notes.

Does the upgraded V2 flash and DRAM influence the VPN performace all else being equal?

Anyone know what the processors are in this device and if encryption is HW or SW?

Also can one run both a Client and Server at the same time.

Use case: Laptop client connecting to ER605 VPN Server and then going out via VPN Client to a 3rd party service.  Would like to be able to get 10Mbps min.

Plan to run standalone mode.

US Market

Options
4 Reply
Re:ER605 and OpenVPN
2022-09-01 05:11:45

@RangerZ 

1. Yes ER605 V1 share all the same firmware features with V2. 

ER605 V1 can build OpenVPN server in standalone mode. Check this firmware release note.

The main difference is V2 add a USB2.0 port, so it can support 4G USB modem as backup link.

V2.6 switched the factory location but on hardware they are the same thing.

2. No.

Although ER605 can be the Server and the Client at the same time, ER605 cannot let a VPN client use another VPN tunnel to go to Internet. The VPN client will be able to access ER605 LAN network, or use ER605 WAN to go to Internet. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-09-01 14:36:46

@Hank21 , Thank you

Regarding item 2, If I understand your reply external OpenVPN Client traffic comining in to the Omada OpenVPN Server will go out directly through the local, but local traffic will be sent to the VPN.

Do you see rerouting traffic from the server to the clinet VPN a future option?

Can this be adjusted with firewall or other policies?

Can you better explian the very last link in the Release Notes you linked.  Maybe its a bad translation

3. This firmware is applied to the Omada APP of version 3.0.x or above

Options
2022-09-02 07:51:16

@RangerZ 

1. It's in plan but no schedule can be provided;

2. This firmware can only work with Omada APP V3 or higher version. Omada APP allows you to monitor some basic settings in standalone mode.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-09-02 13:05:14

@Hank21 OK, this is bad English and confusing.

I now think that this should really say:

Omada ER605 Firmware V1_1.2.0 requires Omada Mobile App 3.0 or higher

Omada ER605 Firmware V1_1.2.0 requires Omada SDN Controller version 4.3.5 or higher

Lack of the word Mobile had me confused as I personally will never use a mobile app to control a router.  In general I find mobile apps tedious to use.  Indeed I am looking to the ER605 as replacement for a Firewalla Purple as this is the primary management interface.

Additionally noting one tool in red at the header and another in the foot notes is also inconsistent and confusing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 627

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles