Auto power and channel or rather "old school" manual?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-02 10:10:57

Hello,

I'm new to Omada and for a start I am now setup a small installation with two ap in standalone mode.

How well does the automatic mode for power and channel selection work on Omada?

In the past, my experiences in this regard with other manufacturers were mixed, which is why I always made the settings manually.

Is the auto mode viable - it's worth trying it out?
Does the ap scans the network only once when switching on or repeatedly?

Thanks for any help and greetings,
Martin

Options
1 Reply
Re:Auto power and channel or rather "old school" manual?
2022-09-03 16:00:49 - last edited 2022-09-03 16:01:26

@m.fessler 

Hey

If you are using a controller then generally this works fine on AUTO and there is little reason to change the power level manually.  

After hundreds of WiFi installations, I can honestly say I have only manually set the power levels for 2 - 3 customers at most, its just something that isnt required anymore.

Channel wise, totally leave 2.4 on AUTO as it will adjust to suit the airspace at that time.   Knowing 2.4 its likely to change every day so manual doesnt offer any real advantage here, just hop around to avoid on auto.     5ghz I personally do use manual channels, usually DFS however

In answer to your question, scanning of the AP is done at boot.  However if you have a controller AI WiFi can do the scan on a schedule, I personally have 2.4 on a daily schedule so it checks at 4am every day.. 5ghz i dont and manually set. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 665

Replies: 1