Will Tp-link ever implement advanced roaming switching on routers and controlers to control ap's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Will Tp-link ever implement advanced roaming switching on routers and controlers to control ap's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-04 19:00:01 - last edited 2022-09-04 19:02:56

I have a specific question regarding improving the way tp-link routers and controllers would control attached access points to mesh networks over wired or wifi mesh.

The point of this thread is that Tp-link includes SSID for automatic synchronization which would enable best-effort synchronization according to AP capabilities, which will fully control how the access points were utilizing Roaming and Switching wifi clients.

The main goal is that controllers and routers would take full control of Forced switching RSSI threshold and Conditioned switching RSSI threshold. Only with this function the idea of seamless transition and best possible signal strength and transfer bandwidth will be achieved.

In current conditions the wifi client will stick to the connection till threshold is so big till packets start dropping even if it has a choice of 5-10 times stronger signal. On PC desktops you have the option to change roaming sensitivity which is bad but its the option. On Android and iphones, ipads its forbiden for users to change such options. It's best to have some standard and to give the ability to routers and controllers to decide on which ap client will connect.

It's perfectly  shown on the picture below, on the Huawei router.

I attached picture because forum is not allowing external links

File:
huawei.jpgDownload
Options
5 Reply
Re:Will Tp-link ever implement advanced roaming switching on routers and controlers to control ap's
2022-09-06 22:59:01

@Loop1 

There is an option in the controller, AP settings to set a maximum RSSI for each AP.   Is this what you are looking for?

Options
Re:Will Tp-link ever implement advanced roaming switching on routers and controlers to control ap's
2022-09-07 12:01:42 - last edited 2022-09-07 16:31:13

@Philbert The picture you showed, which controller is that, because on OMADA controllers design is modern and there are just basic settings most are just usless statistics.

https://emulator.tp-link.com/omada-controller/index.html#statistics

As I know on OMADA controllers you have 3 options

Roaming Setting
Fast Roaming,Dual Band 11k Report and Force-disassociation but I cant configure what is my desire point of bandwidth quality to force clients to change ap if there is better option, seems tp-link hidden those settings or maybe in earlier versions you had that option and on newer there is no more.

Options
2022-09-09 21:08:06

@Loop1 

Hey

Sorry slow reply, busy few days

That is controller v5.5.7 which is the latest version, the link you posted is for v3 which was discontinued over a year ago.   Check the link below for a v5 emulator

https://emulator.tp-link.com/EmulatorV5.0/index.html

Fast Roaming:  Is basically roaming ON, if this ain't ticked you wont roam

Dual Band 11k Report:  Allows you client to roam from AP1 on 2.4ghz to AP2 on 5ghz.   Usually this is only 2.4 to 2.4 and 5 to 5.. ticking this allows cross frequency roaming.

Force-disassociation :  This is really for non roaming capable devices, should you printer not support roaming and be asked to roam by the controller.   It will force a disconnect on the printer to force it to reconnect to the other AP.

To be honest you cant really mess too much with roaming thresholds, when you have a controller it pretty much does it for you based on an algorithm.  Bear in mind however that the algoriphm is based on you having done a decent job positioning your APs (survey), any blackspots, reflection etc will skew the controllers ability to roam. 

All you can really set is the threshold at which is will kick a client, however a kick is not a roam!   Kicking is literally "you are too weak a signal, off you go", you would have expected a controller to have offered a roam well before that stage.

Im my home setup I have 3x APs on the 3 floors, each roams perfectly as I move about dispite the signal being perfect.   Say i move ground floor to first floor, it roams AP however the ground floor AP may still offer a really decent signal (-60db), however the controller know the first floor is even better still and roams you

Really this isnt something you need to touch, it generally just works..

Options
2022-09-18 18:50:20

@Loop1 

BTW, you have to go into controller settings main page and enable "Advanced Features" by clicking the box before these options even appear on the settings page.  I have both a software v5.5.6 and hardware v5.5.7 controller running (separate sites) and recently discovered when I was looking into a problem.  Completely missed it during setup.

Options
2022-09-18 22:55:22

@Cinnman 

Hey

yeah its been moved into that  advanced features tick box since version 4 got released.  Its more a post setup task... sadly sometimes overlooked!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 643

Replies: 5