How to share a printer over different vlans?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-11 03:47:36

Hi there,

Here are devices at my home office.

Router: ER7206

Switch: TL-SG2008P

EAP: 660HD

I created two vlans, one for my work and one for kids online school. I created switch ACL rules to block inter-vlan traffic. Now I connect a network printer with kid's vlan. Every time I need to print something for my work, I have to switch to kid's vlan. It is not very convenient. Is there a solution to share the printer with two vlans? May I create the third vlan for my printer only? And then create switch ACL rule to allow the other vlans to visit the printer vlan but block printer vlan to visit other vlans?

Thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:How to share a printer over different vlans?
2022-09-11 06:15:30

Hi @mma678, have you tried to create a new higher priority ACL switch rule to allow one-way network traffic from the work VLAN to the kid's VLAN? Regardless if you have two or three VLANs, you may need to create ACLs or similar to manage the inter-VLAN network traffic.

BTW, I highly recommend adding to your network an SDN controller like the OC200 (hardware) or Omada SDN Controller v5.4.7 software if you are not already using it. The controller makes creating VLANS and ACLs a much eaier task. :-)

Cheers,
CJ

Options
2022-09-11 09:11:34 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:29:47

EDIT

Options
2022-09-12 01:15:06

@Carnegie 

Yes I forgot to mention I use oc200 in my network.

Options
2022-11-28 09:51:41

Hello,
was this request somehow resolved?
I would have the same question.

I would like to use my Brother printer, which is currently connected in VLAN100, also use from VLAN200 and VLAN300.
How can I do that?

Options
2022-11-28 16:21:33

@lukass2000 

You can enable MDNS within the Services settings on all the VLANs.  

I know it works on the 7206.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-11-28 16:55:04

@lukass2000 What I did was I setup an IP group (Profiles->Groups, then lets say my printer was on IP 192.168.x.x, I would set the IP Subnet to 192.168.x.x/32) for my printers that I would want to access that are on a different VLAN. I set my printers to have static IP's as well. Then under Network Security->ACL under Switch ACL I created a new rule, this rule goes at the top (index 1) above any blocking rules for VLANs. Set the Policy to Permit, then source type to IP Group and check that new IP Group you made, Destination type to Network and in my case I wanted access from LAN so I selected LAN.

Now you have access to your printer, but you wont be able to scan for it (afaik) to add it to your computers and such to find. So in windows you simply can scan for new printers, when its done you can choose to add a printer manually, then select Add a printer using an IP address or hostname, then simply enter the ip address of your printer, in my case 192.168.x.x and your done.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2261

Replies: 6