EAP620 HD (US) v3.0 firmware 1.0.2 cannot be found on support page

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-14 05:13:53
Model: EAP620 HD  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20220119 Rel. 76276

Hello,

I have deployed 10 units of EAP620 HD (US) v3.0 for a client setup. All units are less than 1 month old.

Of the 10 units, 2 units are on firmware 1.0.1 Build 20220119 Rel. 76276. The remaining 8 units are on 1.0.2 Build 20220401 Rel. 74610.

The 2 units with the older firmware are performing slower on WiFi 6 client tests - averaging 400 ish Mbps while the other 8 units are averaging over 700 Mbps. So this is making me wonder if there are issues with  a) the firmware or b) radio. WAN throughput is 800 Mbps. All cabling used is CAT 8.

The thing is, the TP Link support page in Malaysia and the US does not have firmware ver 1.0.2 Build 20220401 Rel. 74610 listed. 

I have already run the update function via the OC200 controller 2.0 (Firmware 2.5.1 Build 20220803 Rel.39745) and there are no updates indicated for these 2 APs.

TP Link Malaysia support have been virtually non-existent as my emails have gone unanswered.

Can someone please assist me in getting firmware ver 1.0.2 Build 20220401 Rel. 74610 as I want to rule this factor out in my troubleshooting.

Alternatively, I just want the 2 units with firmware 1.0.1 replaced with the same model but firmware version 1.0.2.

Much thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:EAP620 HD (US) v3.0 firmware 1.0.2 cannot be found on support page
2022-09-16 02:58:36

@WiFi_Done_Right @Fae could someone from TP Link please get back to me on this.

As  per speedtest  results blow, EAP620HD on L1 are on firmware 1.0.1. The rest of the floors are on 1.0.2 out of the  box. All the same models and version yet L1 is not giving the same results as the other units.

Options
2022-09-20 11:17:13

@Fae Pretty shocked at the non-replies!

TP Link...you guys really need to work on your customer service.

I'm taking my business elsewhere after this experience. Will not be recommending TP Link products anymore.

Options
2022-09-21 01:44:30

Dear @WiFi_Done_Right,

Sorry for any trouble caused. This has already been reported to the support team for checking.

It's just confirmed that the 1.0.2 firmware is going through the release process, which may take some time, please kindly wait patiently.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-09-21 02:51:52

@Fae why can't TP Link Malaysia just issue a hardware replacement? 

The fact that my client has already deployed 8 units of EAP620HD with firmware ver 1.0.2 and has no performance issues, why make my client wait for the availability of a firmware that has no release deadline set?

TP Link's ability to resolve this issue is just starring right in front of my face yet they just choose to take it slow and make my client wait....I just don't get it!

Options
2022-09-22 13:29:58

@Fae Just a quick update, TP Link Malaysia sent me an offline copy of Firmware 1.0.2 on Sept 21.

I successfully applied the firmware update today, Sept 22 on both theL1 APs, bringing all 10 APs in the network up to date with the same firmware.

Conducted speed tests once again and to my disappointment, the same outcome - these 2 APs located at L1 can only average just over 400 Mbps. Yet the remaining 8 APs can all hit over 700 Mbps. Which means it is not a software issue, but a hardware one.

I can accept that  there will be some variance in speed tests results. but the ones I'm getting is in excess of 300 Mbps, which is unacceptable for my client when all APs are of the same model and specification.

Despite this, TP Link Malaysia support is still adamant that this is not a hardware failure! 

The client has given TP Link all week to settle the issue amicably. Tomorrow they will submit a formal complaint with Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs. What a shame really...to throw away the opportunity to wow and delight a customer.

From here on out - I'm recommending my clients Ruckus and Aruba. No more TP Link!

Options
2022-09-23 11:01:44 - last edited 2022-09-23 11:02:10

Dear @WiFi_Done_Right,

WiFi_Done_Right wrote

@Fae Just a quick update, TP Link Malaysia sent me an offline copy of Firmware 1.0.2 on Sept 21.

I successfully applied the firmware update today, Sept 22 on both theL1 APs, bringing all 10 APs in the network up to date with the same firmware.

Conducted speed tests once again and to my disappointment, the same outcome - these 2 APs located at L1 can only average just over 400 Mbps. Yet the remaining 8 APs can all hit over 700 Mbps. Which means it is not a software issue, but a hardware one.

I can accept that  there will be some variance in speed tests results. but the ones I'm getting is in excess of 300 Mbps, which is unacceptable for my client when all APs are of the same model and specification.

Thank you for your kind update. Sorry to hear that updating the firmware doesn't resolve your concern. I understand your disappointment, with the same models and firmware versions, those 2 APs didn't provide as good speed as the remaining 8 APs, I agree that it's not a software issue. However, I think it's a bit earlier to determine it's a hardware issue.

Wireless connection can be affected by too many factors, distance, location, interference, etc.

We may still need to do further troubleshooting to figure out the issue. For example, have you tried exchanging the locations between the L1 AP and the L2 AP and test the speed again to check whether the results will change upon the location? Have you tried optimizing the wireless channels on the L1 APs for further tests?

You may ask why not simply providing a replacement to fix the issue, yes, it sounds like a good choice, but if the issue is not the AP itself, a replacement won't help and you may spend more time and energy on figuring out the issue. So it will be better if we can find out the cause and resolve it effectively.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-10-05 04:30:27

@Fae Hello and sorry for the late reply.

As a network installer, the first rule of thumb is to eliminate and narrow down the root cause of potential issues, which I did and informed your colleagues at TP Link Malaysia.

To your questions: 

1) For example, have you tried exchanging the locations between the L1 AP and the L2 AP and test the speed again to check whether the results will change upon the location?

I did, not once but thrice, and I every time I did this L2 APs performed consistently on L1 connections and of course I informed your team of my findings. But they still said its not a hardware issue,

2) Have you tried optimizing the wireless channels on the L1 APs for further tests?

Of course I matched the same radio settings between L1  AP and L2 AP on three different occasions and the L2 APs performed consistently. Again I informed this to TP Link Malaysia and they still said it was not a hardware issue.

But @Fae the quickest and obvious indicator is the fact that I have 10 APs of the same version and model. If I only had 2 or 3 units, then I think your argument holds water.

But the fact that I have 10 units and 8 units perform similarly and only 2 units don't means it can only be one thing and that it a hardware issue. Any variances, if any, should never be large when AP model and version are all identical.

After losing my patience with your counterparts at TP Link Malaysia and as I was about to file an official complaint with the Govt, they finally granted my client an exchange for the two L1 APs.

After replacing the two units, below were the final test results....just see what a difference replacing the 2 APs did.

In future, please listen to your installers who are working hard to promote and use your hardware and learn to acknowledge when you are in the wrong.

I could have settled this issue much quicker had TP Link Malaysia been more cooperative and quick in providing a resolution. They fact that TP Link does not provide on-site support is all the more reason to be quick in helping clients resolve their issues.

It is very frustrating to see TP Link wanting to operate in the SME/business solution space yet not be willing to provide the necessary support and attentiveness to go with their solutions and products.

It's been a painful lesson, but from here on out, I am only recommending Ruckus and Aruba to my clients because TP Link Malaysia just cannot provide the support I need for my clients.

Options
2022-10-10 07:57:01

Dear @WiFi_Done_Right,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and glad to know that the issue was finally resolved though the whole process was not very pleasant (I'm sorry for the poor service experience with TP-Link Malaysia team). 

The support team in Malaysia as a new team still needs some time to learn how to handle the issues more professionally and quicker. Thank you for your great cooperation and patience to try troubleshooting with them. I believe they will learn something from this case.

TP-Link is always trying to provide the customer service as better as possible for free, hope the Malaysia team keep going and provide as better customer service as they can in the near future. Wish you have a great day!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 936

Replies: 8

Related Articles