Omada controlled firmware upgrade to Jetstream switches makes them unmanageable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-15 09:11:58 - last edited 2022-09-29 09:50:02
Tags: #Firmware Update #Omada controller
Model: TL-SG2428P  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Over the last weeks, there have been several mentions of issues with the upgrade to switches using the Omada controller software. See: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/581064 

I have this issue with all 5 of my switches. They all show the same behaviour:

1. Omada controller indicates that new software is available.
  2. A red ball is visible next to the version in the list of devices.
  3. When the upgrade is done, the switchs keeps functioning with the last configuration, but remains DISCONNECTED.
  4. No access to the switch is possible anymore through Omada, making them completely unmanageable.

My switches:

1. 3x TL-SG2428P v1.0
  2. 1x TL-SG3452P v3.0
  3. 1x TL-SG3452 v1.0

So far, I have been able to recover the TL-SG3452 by doing the following:

1. Connect the USB-RJ45 console cable to the switch and my Macbook
  2. Power off&on the router
  3. Wait until the autoboot prompt is appearing, then press any key
  4. Reset the password
  5. With this password access the webpage to inspect the switch. It showed 1.1.4 as active firmware.
  6. Downgrade the firmware to 1.1.1
  7. Reboot the switch
  8. Readopt the switch in Omada

This procedure did not result in success for the TL-SG3452P v3.0 yet (downgrading from 3.04 to 3.01) , It still appears DISCONNECTED, even though it was connected shortly after re-adoption.

For the TL-SG2428P's I still need to execute the procedure to downgrade from 1.1.4 to 1.1.1 as it is quite time consuming.

All this hassle seems to indicate that there is a serious issue with the latest switch firmware in combination with the Omada controller software.

My question:

Can you please explain to me what is going on and what your advise is with regard to firmware upgrades through the automated Omada controller?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada controlled firmware upgrade to Jetstream switches makes them unmanageable-Solution
2022-09-29 09:49:28 - last edited 2022-09-29 09:50:02

Hi there,

Thank you for coming to TP-Link Community for help!

If you suffer from the same issue with JetStream Switches as it's described below (thank you @Harold_H for the detailed information), please follow this post for available solutions. Thanks for your cooperation and patience. See you in the community soon!

Harold_H wrote

1. When the upgrade is done, the switchs keeps functioning with the last configuration, but remains DISCONNECTED.
  2. No access to the switch is possible anymore through Omada, making them completely unmanageable.

My switches:

1. 3x TL-SG2428P v1.0
  2. 1x TL-SG3452P v3.0
  3. 1x TL-SG3452 v1.0
>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada controlled firmware upgrade to Jetstream switches makes them unmanageable
2022-09-15 12:29:14

@Harold_H 

A new switch firmware out this week... 

My TL-SG2008P v3.0 upgraded without any issues from the Omada controller (5.5.6 Ubuntu VM)

But TL-SG2428P v1.0 had the same issue you've experienced.  I rebooted the switch after the failed firmware attempt.  I retried the upgrade and it worked.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
Re:Omada controlled firmware upgrade to Jetstream switches makes them unmanageable
2022-09-15 13:16:23

Dear @Harold_H ,

Harold_H wrote

My question:

Can you please explain to me what is going on and what your advise is with regard to firmware upgrades through the automated Omada controller?

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue.

The ticket ID is TKID220917726, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
2022-09-15 13:26:06

@KimcheeGUN 

After your suggestion, I tried to upgrade the TL-SG3452P v3.0 from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 , using the upgrade button in the Omada controller software again.

After upgrading the device went through the stage of HEARTBEAT MISSED to DISCONNECTED again. That means that the problem is reproduceable.

And while I was at it, I also upgraded 2 of the TL-SG2428P v1.0's successfully, using the same method that I described in my original post. This time I used the latest available firmware: 1.1.5 (TL-SG2428P(UN)_V1_1.1.5 Build 20220909 to be precise) that came available yesterday.

Options
Re:Omada controlled firmware upgrade to Jetstream switches makes them unmanageable-Solution
2022-09-29 09:49:28 - last edited 2022-09-29 09:50:02

Hi there,

Thank you for coming to TP-Link Community for help!

If you suffer from the same issue with JetStream Switches as it's described below (thank you @Harold_H for the detailed information), please follow this post for available solutions. Thanks for your cooperation and patience. See you in the community soon!

Harold_H wrote

1. When the upgrade is done, the switchs keeps functioning with the last configuration, but remains DISCONNECTED.
  2. No access to the switch is possible anymore through Omada, making them completely unmanageable.

My switches:

1. 3x TL-SG2428P v1.0
  2. 1x TL-SG3452P v3.0
  3. 1x TL-SG3452 v1.0
>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1096

Replies: 4

Tags

Firmware Update
Omada controller