JetStream Switches May Become Unmanageable After a Firmware Upgrade

2022-09-29 08:18:59 - last edited 2023-12-21 06:32:07

This Article Applies to:

All JetStream Smart and Managed series Switches managed by Omada Controller, including 

TL-SL2xxx(P) , TL-SG2xxx(P/MP), TL-SG3xxx(P/MP/XMP)

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

Recently TP-Link received some feedback that the JetStream Switches may become unmanageable and appear 'Disconnected' on the Omada Controller after upgrading to the firmware with Build number 202206xx or 202207xx, and the issue could be temporarily resolved by a manual reboot in some cases.

Related Threads:

TL-SG2428P v1.0 firmware bug?

TL-SG3428MP firmware update make switch unmanageable

bug: upgrade switch firmware does not initiate switch reboot/reset

Omada controlled firmware upgrade to Jetstream switches makes them unmanageable

Thank you all @greenwing@Harold_H@btx@lexam for providing the request information to help our support team figure out the issue, your great cooperation is much appreciated!

Available Solutions:

After deep investigation, TP-Link has located the causes of the issue described in this post, and there are actually two causes, one is related to the PoE module and the other is caused by the SSH configuration. As the problem phenomenon is similar, you may try the following available solutions to fix the issue if you happen to suffer from the issue described in this post.

1. For All JetStream PoE Switches (the issue is related to the PoE module)

Please upgrade to the latest official firmware whose Build number is 20220909 first. If the issue still exists, or you have the issue with JetStream non-PoE Switches, please check Solution 2.

Note:

You can upgrade the new firmware online through cloud with your Omada Controller, or download the firmware from the TP-Link Official WebsiteIt is recommended to reboot the switch before upgrading, especially if the memory usage exceeds 60%.

2. For All JetStream Switches (the issue is caused by the SSH configuration)

Please disable SSH or modify the SSH port back to 22 as a temporary solution. After the Switch turns back to 'Connected' state on your Controller, you can enable SSH and change the SSH port again. TP-Link will fix this issue in the next firmware release soon, please wait patiently.

If the above available solutions doesn't work for your case, it's probably a different issue. In that case, please feel free to start a new thread or contact TP-Link support for further investigation.

Thank you for your attention!

If this was helpful, welcome to give us Kudos by clicking the upward triangle below.

If there is anything unclear in this solution post, please feel free to comment below.

Thank you in advance for your valued feedback!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
14 Reply
Re:JetStream Switches May Become Unmanageable After a Firmware Upgrade
2022-12-06 02:46:00

@Fae So I recently did firmware updates to both of my TL-SG3428 switches. Now I cannot log into either switch, it tells me the username or password is incorrect. I have not changed either of these. Also Omada is showing both switches as managed by others.
Is there any solution other than resetting both switches?
Patrick

Options
2023-03-10 03:52:58

This information is really appreciated. What you have to say on your blog is fascinating. You've provided readers with a blog piece that serves as both informative and enjoyable reading.

Options
2023-03-23 17:29:54 - last edited 2023-03-23 17:50:51

Hi,

I have the same Issue with my TL-SG3428X. The Firmware Version is 1.0.2 and when I try to update to 1.0.11 (via Web GUI or via SDN Controller) the Web GUI becomes unavailable and on the SDN Controller the Switch shows DISCONNECT. 

The only way I can show the switch in the SDN Controller again is to reset the switch via console and boot the Version 1.0.2 again.

I have tried to contact the german support but no answer. 

How can I switch off SSH Support for the switch when it is in SDN Controller mode ?

Greetings

WALLY

PS: When I try to update the firmware manually the progress runs until 99% and then it freezes. After a while the message FIRMWARE UPDATE not succssful appears. The Switch itself is still working but no connection to the SDN Controller or in Stand Alone Mode to the Web GUI ist possible.

Options
2023-03-24 01:58:50 - last edited 2023-03-24 01:59:32

Hello @WallyRT 

Your case might be a different issue from the issue described in the initial post.

May I know the Build number of your 1.0.2 firmware? Is that 1.0.2 Build 20210128 Rel.56556?

You can check it from the Devices page, tap on your TL-SG3428X to check the Details for Firmware Version.

Have you ever install a Beta firmware on your SG3428X switch before?

How can I switch off SSH Support for the switch when it is in SDN Controller mode ?

Go to Settings > Services > SSH to check it. It's disabled by default.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-24 02:04:50

Hello @PatrickMcC 

Sorry for missing your reply before. What's the previous firmware of your TL-SG3428 and which firmware did you upgrade to? If the TL-SG3428 switch was managed by the controller before, the username and password should be the same as the Device Account you configured on your Omada Controller.

Options
2023-03-24 04:33:36

@Fae 

Thank you for your reply. Here are some additional information you requested:

Hardware version.  V1.0

Firmware 1.0.2 Build 20210128 Rel. 56556

I have never  installed any Firmware so far nether any Beta Firmware.

SSH is switched off

Thanks

Wally

Options
2023-03-24 10:01:50

Hello @WallyRT 

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230341948, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Options
2023-03-24 10:11:52

Hi  @Fae 

thank you for escalating this. I will wait for any reply

thanks

Walter

Options
2023-04-21 09:54:44 - last edited 2023-09-29 10:39:57

After sg-3428x firmware upgrade I can ping and port scan seeing 22,80,443 ports but cant open any of them.

Logged via telnet and made reset but on default settings same effect can't login via web interface or ssh.

Is there any way to reflash other firmware? I can't see any option in telnet menu.

I managed it by restore backup configuration via USB Cable serial port and after upgrade to FW 20210409 I upgraded to 20230227 and it started working.

Options
2023-06-12 15:38:03

@WallyRT Was the problem solved by TP-Link support? I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with my TL-SG3428XMP v1.0. I can't update the firmware in any way. I even tried to disconnect it from Omada controller and update manually, but still nothing. It is always stuck at upgrading status. Only unplugging it from the power solves the problem and the switch gets back to 1.0.2.

Options