ER605: Link backup not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-16 01:17:30
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 Build 20220106 Rel.56391

Hey everyone, so I've had my router for 1 month thinking it was working as intended, but today my main ISP is having a general outage, and I just found out that the router is not really working. Doing a bit of search on the forums I found 3 threads and none of them are resolved, so it's kind of worrying:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/500280

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/519916

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/519882

WAN Port: High speed ISP with fiber

WAN/LAN1 Port: Other ISP VDSL connection

Load Balancing: Enabled

Link Backup Rule: WAN Primary, WAN/LAN1 Backup

Mode: Backup when any primary WAN fails

Online Detection: I have tried automatic and manual with 1.1.1.1

As seen in this last screenshot, my main WAN is correctly detected as offline, but I'm not getting any internet connection from the WAN/LAN1. On the WAN status page, it shows as Connected, which is expected because it's still physically connected and has an IP and all that:

I've tried many of the things that people said in the other threads, but the only thing that makes the WAN/LAN1 connection work is if I either physically disconnect WAN, or click on the Disconnect button on the screen above.

Honestly this just doesn't make any sense and any help would be very appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605: Link backup not working
2022-09-16 09:02:51

@wolfius 

The default time for online detection in standalone mode is 2 minutes, so you need to wait a bit.

You can set online detection to manually and try pinging 8.8.8.8 instead of 1.1.1.1.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-09-16 21:52:29

@Virgo 

What did I have to wait for? the online detection was already showing that my WAN was offline, and the backup WAN wasn't being used, and I waited a lot. In the screenshot I'm showing how it was detected as offline, and there wasn't any internet from the secondary WAN going through unless I disconnected the primary WAN.

Options
2022-09-19 03:10:00 - last edited 2022-09-19 03:19:22

Dear @wolfius

wolfius wrote

@Virgo 

What did I have to wait for? the online detection was already showing that my WAN was offline, and the backup WAN wasn't being used, and I waited a lot. In the screenshot I'm showing how it was detected as offline, and there wasn't any internet from the secondary WAN going through unless I disconnected the primary WAN.

Sorry to hear that you have some trouble with the Omada Router. Generally speaking, the backup WAN should work immediately once it's detected as online under the online detection.

To figure out the issue, may I know how you check whether there is Internet from the secondary WAN? Did you simply visit some websites and found no internet connection, or did you ping some external websites on the clients for checking? Did you test with different clients?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-09-19 14:07:42

@Fae 

Thanks for the reply.

First I checked some websites and there wasn't any internet connection, so what I did to check if the secondary WAN didn't go down as well, was that I connected directly to that modem and it was working with no problem. Also, as I mentioned, if I disconnected the primary WAN from the router, the secondary WAN provided internet through the router without an issue.

I didn't use ping :/

just so I have clarity, what are you referring to with "clients"? So maybe I can force an offline detection on my primary wan and see what happens

thanks!

Options
2022-09-20 01:32:56

Dear @wolfius,

wolfius wrote

just so I have clarity, what are you referring to with "clients"?

For example, the desktop, laptops, iPad, tablets and cellphones.

If convenient, you may force an offline detection on the primary WAN to check again.

Use ping command on the desktop/laptop to test the internet connectivity.

Check the internet on different client devices when they are connected to the router.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1397

Replies: 5

Related Articles