Wifi coverage - ceiling vs outdoor pole mount

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-23 09:13:05 - last edited 2022-09-24 08:15:18
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Can anyone tell me in simple terms the difference in the area coverage of an EAP225 outdoor vs EAP225 ceiling mount. I've looked at the data sheets but it was beyond my understanding.

Does the Outdoor radiate outwards from the unit like a circle around a center point, whereas when mounted on a ceiling, the ceiling version radiate downward more like an arc ?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wifi coverage - ceiling vs outdoor pole mount-Solution
2022-09-23 20:10:13 - last edited 2022-09-24 08:15:18

@stu8 

Hey

Pretty easy one this, details below

OUTDOOR  -  The outdoor model has an antenna known as Omni-Directional which is the most common single straight pole type antenna.  Its radiation pattern is like a doughnut from the antenna, even in all directions radiating outwards.    Its designed to be placed in the centre of an open space with clients all round it in all directions.  Placing these against a wall or ceiling is a waste as 50% of the signal will blast straight into the brick..

INDOOR  -  Its a more focused antenna pattern, it radiates out from the white face of the AP at an 80degree angle   /  \  like that, so if its mounted on a ceiling anything above gets virtually no signal (by design, no point blasting into brick wall /ceiling), sides and below get the most signal.   My engineers always called these "claymore" type APs if that makes sense, face towards customers :)

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Wifi coverage - ceiling vs outdoor pole mount-Solution
2022-09-23 20:10:13 - last edited 2022-09-24 08:15:18

@stu8 

Hey

Pretty easy one this, details below

OUTDOOR  -  The outdoor model has an antenna known as Omni-Directional which is the most common single straight pole type antenna.  Its radiation pattern is like a doughnut from the antenna, even in all directions radiating outwards.    Its designed to be placed in the centre of an open space with clients all round it in all directions.  Placing these against a wall or ceiling is a waste as 50% of the signal will blast straight into the brick..

INDOOR  -  Its a more focused antenna pattern, it radiates out from the white face of the AP at an 80degree angle   /  \  like that, so if its mounted on a ceiling anything above gets virtually no signal (by design, no point blasting into brick wall /ceiling), sides and below get the most signal.   My engineers always called these "claymore" type APs if that makes sense, face towards customers :)

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Wifi coverage - ceiling vs outdoor pole mount
2022-09-24 08:16:02

@Philbert As I suspected then, thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 329

Replies: 2