Weird issues with EAP650 (dropping IPv6 traffic)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-25 11:58:41 - last edited 2022-09-25 14:04:31
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hi, I'm looking for some pointers on the likely cause of some weird issues I am seeing when clients are connected to my EAP650(EU) v1.0.

Background: I have two APs on my network, an EAP245(EU) v3.0, which I've had for some time, and an EAP650(EU) v1.0 which I have added recently. I have ~40 different wireless clients, split over several WLANs, which are all published to both APs so clients can roam between the two APs.

With just the EAP245 I never had any issues, but since installing the EAP650, I've experienced the following issues:

1. My Windows 10 laptop fails to get a DHCPv6 lease when connected to the EAP650. If it's connected to the EAP245 AP then it works fine (connectivity is otherwise fine, regardless of AP).
    [UPDATE: The EAP650 is actually dropping all IPv6 traffic!]

2. Tasmota devices (running on ESP8266-based devices): I can browse the lightweight web interface regardless of which AP they are connected to, however if I upload a firmware file (i.e. briefly saturate the connection) then the device loses it's connection. Again, if I restrict to the EAP245 then the problem goes away.

Both of these issues only occur when the clients are connected to the EAP650, and they can be solved by forcing the clients to the EAP245 (which I can do temporarily by restricting the WLAN to the EAP245 only). This leads me to the conclusion that both issues are related to the EAP650 somehow. Most likely there is some newer feature or protocol that the EAP650 is using that some of my clients don't like, or a bug in the EAP650...

At the moment I have the following settings in the site: Fast Roaming (enabled), AI Roaming (disabled), Dual Band 11k Report (disabled), Force-Disassociation (disabled), Band Steering (Prefer 5/GHz)

And on the AP's themselves: Max Associated Clients (disabled), RSSI Threshold (disabled), No Acknowledgment (disabled), Unscheduled Automatic Power Delivery (enabled), OFDMA (disabled)

I've haven't had time to systematically turn each feature on/off to correlate with the issues. Can anyone suggest what might be the likely cause of either of the issues, and what to try next?

Thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Weird issues with EAP650
2022-09-25 12:15:37

@codersr 

try upgrading to this beta and see if it gets any better,

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/577390

Options
2022-09-25 13:22:43

@shberge I've upgraded to the beta firmware and it doesn't seem to have helped at all.

In fact, I've done a bit more analysis, and it seems that the problem is not limited to DHCPv6, it seems my EAP650 is not passing any IPv6 traffic at all! If I configure my Windows client with a static IPv6 configuration, it connects fine when on the EAP245 but all IPv6 traffic is dropped when on the EAP650!

Any ideas?

Options
Re:Weird issues with EAP650 (dropping IPv6 traffic)
2022-09-25 16:12:43

@codersr 

no, sounds like an issue for TP-Link support

Options
2022-09-26 21:46:13

After some further analysis with Wireshark I can see that the issue is that the EAP650 is dropping all DHCPv6 ADVERTISE and REPLY packets from my router. Other IPv6 traffic is being allowed, including the DHCPv6 SOLICIT packets that come from clients. SLAAC eventually works, but is signficantly delayed.

The EAP650 is behaving as if the "Legal DHCP Servers" option was enabled. However, I have double-checked and the "Legal DHCP servers" option is disabled for all my Networks, so all DHCP traffic should be allowed. Indeed, my EAP245 AP happily lets all DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 packets pass. 

This must be a bug with the EAP650 firmware.

Compounding the issue is the fact that "Legal DHCP Servers" option doesn't appear to support DHCPv6 servers yet, so I can't just add my DHCP server's IPv6 addresses! 

Options
2022-10-23 23:23:41 - last edited 2022-10-23 23:24:05

I'm also experiencing those very weird problems with EAP650(EU) v1.0 regarding IPv6 traffic drops. Also with the beta firmware linked above which also introduced broadcast/multicast leaking between untagged and taggend VLANs when using PPSK.

That product is far from usable at the moment and no fixes for months.

Options
2022-10-24 19:00:42

@CuBiC  Agreed. Still waiting for a firmware update. FYI, there's another thread about the issues here.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1259

Replies: 6