EAP245 deployment

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP245 deployment

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
EAP245 deployment
EAP245 deployment
2022-10-03 07:13:30 - last edited 2022-10-03 16:46:16
Tags: #AP deployment
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm deploying 2xEAP245 APs to a house with a 250Mbps fiber optic connection. The house is in total ~350m2 or 3750 sq ft in two floors. Currently the fiber optic connection/router is unfavourably located. The house was built in early 70s so there is no ethernet cabling but you can pull the CAT6 cables from the router through the ceiling into a crawling space then back down.

Could you please advise me on the optimal configuration of the Omada APs with following assumptions

- The existing router is going to handle NAT, firewall and DHCP.

- EAP245s are powered over PoE from GbE switch TL-SG1005P

- There is going to be some 10-20 devices in the network all 5Ghz ac-capable

- No need for VLAN's, guest network or any security beyond router firewall and WPA2-PSK authentication

- 2 APs for top floor might be an overkill but I will go to the crawling space only once so might as well do it. its only $80 more incl cable

- There is no outside radio inteference in the house so I can choose channels freely. I was thinking about 5Ghz) 80VHT ch 42 and 58

Questions

- The APs are going to be upstairs due to cable routing difficulties (10m/30ft & 25m/75ft cables) - I suppose the cable lenght does not affect performance or PoE?

- Will the signal from EAP245 in upstairs penetrate the floor to downstairs? The floor is wood and I cannot draw a cable downstairs.

- I can install the controller on a Win11 desktop that will not be running constantly? Basically I can only use it for configuration and periodical maintenance. Is that a problem?

House layout attchd with suggested AP locations. I appreciate all comments!

File:
house layout.gifDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP245 deployment
2022-10-03 18:03:07

@Jupe 

Hey and Welcome.  Hopefully some answer below for you

- The APs are going to be upstairs due to cable routing difficulties (10m/30ft & 25m/75ft cables) - I suppose the cable lenght does not affect performance or PoE?

POE is good up until around 100m, really make 80m your limits if possible.  With your lengths of runs, no problem here!

- Will the signal from EAP245 in upstairs penetrate the floor to downstairs? The floor is wood and I cannot draw a cable downstairs.

This will be on a case by case basis, but from experience its likely to work OK with standard wooden floors.   Its really only metal girders that cause issues that way.  Gut feeling it will be fine

- I can install the controller on a Win11 desktop that will not be running constantly? Basically I can only use it for configuration and periodical maintenance. Is that a problem?

Yes, sadly it is a problem.  The controller needs to be online 24/7 to facilitate roaming, which I'm guessing you will want as you have 2x APs.  There is a dozen other things that require it online to work.   Also when you reboot the controller, it drops the APs for a few seconds each time as they check for reconfiguration.  This is really designed to be running all the time.

Honestly, buy an OC200 or set this up on a raspberry PI for yourself and have it running 24/7.   The OC200 is cheapish and carn run POE so its easy to stick somewhere

Options
2022-10-05 14:22:14 - last edited 2022-10-05 16:21:15

@Philbert Thanks for the input, very useful! I don't want to have a 24/7 running controller. I'm cheap.

Could I just configure the APs individually using the Omada app or http interface of the APs? My setup does not need much than setting up appropriate 2G/5G CHs, SSID(s) & WPA2-PSK password, maybe transmit power. Omada app seems to support some and individual AP http interface more options incl channel width, firmware update etc... Am I right?

Much can be left to stock settings AFAIK. I have a tuned Unifi network at home so pretty familiar with WiFi setup and networking in general.

Options
2022-10-09 19:59:10

@Jupe 

Hey

Sorry slow reply, was away for a few days there.. get the head cleared and all that :)

In answer to your question, yes you could just configure them as standalone via IP or App... 

90% of what is capable via Omada Controller is possible locally, the main thing you will lose is central management, mesh and seamless roaming.    As said everything else can be configured on the APs individually.

Stock settings are usually OK for most as you state.  Whats the old saying?  If it aint broke, dont go fixing it! 

Options
2022-10-16 14:22:54
Installed two eap 245 on the ceiling. Very easy to install, screws were a bit dull. SA configuration very easy through http interface. Basicall just updated fw, and set SSIDs, passkey, power and ch. Left everything else stock. Very good value for money, might be better than unifi APs I have at home
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 377

Replies: 4

Tags

AP deployment
Related Articles