Wi-Fi SSID - only for internal network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-04 12:51:20

Hello Friends,

I was wondering if anyone could help.

Situation: a single shared internet connection to a house with 6 flats.

I have created 6 SSIDs (1 for each flat). Each SSID has a Bandwidth limit, set to 1/6th of the total (average) available bandwidth. So, each flat can consume only 1/6th of the total bandwidth of the provider, about 20Mbps/flat. This way, when one flat is attempting to stream several Netflix movies, it does not "eat" the bandwidth of the other flats. So far, so good.

Also attached is a NAS, which hosts a few thousand films.

As each flat has a few smart TVs (Wi-Fi), the NAS can stream movies to these TVs. However, because of the bandwidth limit, that stream is also limited; 20Mbps is OK for just 3 streams in HD. But - since that "video stream" does not consume any internet bandwidth (it streams from the NAS towards the TVs),

I am seeking a solution where I create a separate, invisible SSID that has no bandwidth throttle.. I would then connect the TVs to this separate SSID. On that SSID, I would then block any traffic other than that coming from the NAS (to avoid the TVs being used for any other kind of streaming service, youtube, etc. - thus bypassing the limit).

Is that possible?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wi-Fi SSID - only for internal network
2022-10-04 20:19:02

@jervanheg 

Hey

There are a few ways to do this that comes to mind, some might be better than others.   

Before starting it would be good to know what hardware do you have in place?   If you have a full Omada setup there are better ways to do this..

Options
2022-10-05 03:52:08

@jervanheg Thank you for your offer to help!

I have

- OC200

- TL-SG2210MP switch

- EAP660HD

(I do not have the router)

Options
2022-10-09 20:03:01

@jervanheg 

Hey

Sorry slow reply, couple days out of the office :)

Thanks for listing your hardware, so yeah the way you are doing this via the SSID network throttle is likely the best option for you at the moment.   However you will need a new SSID for the faster TVs

Ideally if you had the router in place and managed you could control it there via rules on the WAN gateway, certain devices get X speed others Y.. that was my initial thinking, but what you have a present is likely the only way I can think to do this..

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 206

Replies: 3

Related Articles