Multiple DNS servers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Multiple DNS servers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Multiple DNS servers
Multiple DNS servers
2022-10-07 11:03:59 - last edited 2022-10-10 13:39:59
Tags: #DHCP Service #DNS
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I need to replace my router because it is unreliable after power failure. I have an Omada Controller OC200 for my wireless network so I am looking at ER605 as the WAN interface.

I currently use 2 DNS services, on direct with the ISP and the other with OpenDNS to manage access restrictions for certain devices. Some of the restricted and unrestricted devices need to be able to connect to each other. Some of the devices in either category need static IP addresses.

At the moment, all devices are on the same subnet. I use address reservations to put devices into particular ranges then use DNSmasq to define the DNS for each address range.

On the ER605, I can see how to create interface VLANs with assigned DHCP address ranges and manually defined DNS. I could then reserve addresses for specific clients (hopefully reliably with the latest firmware) so they end up on the right VLAN and hence DNS server but the VLANs need to be on different subnets or I get a "address range in use" error.

Basically, my question is: could the ER605 DHCP server distribute different DNS server addresses to different clients dependent on which IP address range they are in?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multiple DNS servers-Solution
2022-10-10 13:39:56 - last edited 2022-10-10 13:39:59

I have now made this work.

I have overriden the auto DNS server provided by the ISP with the OpenDNS servers so when clients connect to the default VLAN, this is the DNS server they use. I have created a second VLAN with manual DNS directed to an unrestricted server so clients joining this VLAN are not blocked by OpenDNS.

Since inter-VLAN routing is enable by default, devices on either VLAN can connect with one another.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Multiple DNS servers
2022-10-07 12:03:05

@BD1 

Are you saying that you would want multiple vlan tags and dchp servers under 1 subnet?  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-10-07 12:55:44 - last edited 2022-10-07 12:56:25

@KimcheeGUN 

I don't need VLANs at all, it's just this seems to be the only place to set different DNS settings for different IP ranges. 

On my existing router with DNSmasq, I use a single subnet and single DHCP server that allocates addresses either from reservations or from the pool and then sends the appropriate DNS depending on where in the overall range the IP address sits.

Options
2022-10-07 16:36:24 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:00:27

EDIT

Options
2022-10-07 18:46:27

@btx 

Problem is every time the power fails I end up having to reload the configuration into the existing router/DHCP server.

I don't need internal DNS, just the ability for the DHCP server to point different devices at different external DNS servers.

Options
Re:Multiple DNS servers-Solution
2022-10-10 13:39:56 - last edited 2022-10-10 13:39:59

I have now made this work.

I have overriden the auto DNS server provided by the ISP with the OpenDNS servers so when clients connect to the default VLAN, this is the DNS server they use. I have created a second VLAN with manual DNS directed to an unrestricted server so clients joining this VLAN are not blocked by OpenDNS.

Since inter-VLAN routing is enable by default, devices on either VLAN can connect with one another.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 712

Replies: 5

Related Articles