Deco unit won't connect to closest/strongest signel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-19 09:56:17 - last edited 2022-10-25 10:41:33
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

I have 3 Deco units arranged in a line. 1) the main unit is connected to router in centre of the house, then 2) at the back of the house and 3) in the garden. 

My problem is that 3) often connects to 1), which is too far away and so gets a poor signal. It should connect to 2), which is sited halfway between 1) and 3). 

How can I set this up so that 3) connects to 2) and 2) connects to 1)? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco unit won't connect to closest/strongest signel-Solution
2022-10-19 13:40:32 - last edited 2022-10-25 10:41:33

@timbish 

You need the ability to configure Satellite Deco where to connect to. TP-Link has not released firmware for Deco E4 that has his feature and it is not clear when or if it will be released.

The easiest and permanent solution would be to buy single Deco M5, which has that ability. Place it in the garden and configure it connect to 2). You can take Deco E4 that used to be in the garden to the house to add WiFi coverage or to keep as a spare.

If you don't want to buy Deco M5, I can suggest workarounds, but even if they work you'll have to repeat them every time your house experiences power loss or you unplug one of Satellite Deco. 

Let me know.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco unit won't connect to closest/strongest signel-Solution
2022-10-19 13:40:32 - last edited 2022-10-25 10:41:33

@timbish 

You need the ability to configure Satellite Deco where to connect to. TP-Link has not released firmware for Deco E4 that has his feature and it is not clear when or if it will be released.

The easiest and permanent solution would be to buy single Deco M5, which has that ability. Place it in the garden and configure it connect to 2). You can take Deco E4 that used to be in the garden to the house to add WiFi coverage or to keep as a spare.

If you don't want to buy Deco M5, I can suggest workarounds, but even if they work you'll have to repeat them every time your house experiences power loss or you unplug one of Satellite Deco. 

Let me know.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco unit won't connect to closest/strongest signel
2022-10-25 10:41:28

@Alexandre. 

Hi, thanks a lot for your message. I will try your suggestion of the Deco M5, hopefully that solves it... thanks again. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 286

Replies: 2

Related Articles