VLANs without Omada router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-21 06:52:42
Model: TL-SG2008  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.2

Hello,

I have been following this guide (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2814/) for topology without an Omada router. But whenever i change the management port and switch to the new one I lose access to my switch. Also, my dash shows No Internet Capacity, I dont know if this is just for router status if there is one.

My goal is to have 3 VLANs 

192.168.1.1 is the main LAN.

192.168.10.1 2nd 

192.168.100.1 IoT

Whenever i read a guide they use the LAN from the router. All i want is 3 VLANs with different ip ranges that can all communicate with trunk.

Im sorry its vague, I just dont know what other info is needed.

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:VLANs without Omada router
2022-10-21 21:24:58

@Enoque 

Hey

So the article you are reading is for creating an Management VLAN, this is not what you are after.

Management VLANs in short are a specific VLAN that the Omada system can use to communicate to eachother away from the default network.   Basically a segmented network for ONLY Omada traffic, which is not what you want.

You can indeed create VLANs without an Omada router, but you will need some router capable of VLANs to accomplish this as it will be providing the seperate networks for you.   You can then pass these networks onto the Switch and APs.   What hardware do you have in place at the moment?  If you dont have full Omada or use a mix this may be more complicated, bear in mind your switch and APs also need to support VLANs.

Options
2022-10-22 04:25:23 - last edited 2022-10-22 05:56:24

@Philbert 

Hello,

Thank you very much for the reply. I see that now, I thought it was to have my LAN connected. I have a OC200. 1 TL-SG2008 and 1 EAP225. The issues I am mostly Is my normal VLANs are able to get to the router(internet). But when I create the VLAN/interface(and wireless network) with a IP range, my device gets assigned an IP (e.g. 192.168.10.55) in that range, its just the gateway ip is the subnet gatway ip(192.168.10.1), I need it to be able to connected to the internet which is VLAN1(192.168.1.1).

Since the TL-SG2008 is a Layer 3 Switch, i thought i wouldnt need the gateway and could just use my ISPs router.

Adding a diagram of how its connected: 

The 10 and 100 VLANS are able get their respective IP correctly but cant get internet from the 1.1 router. 

Options
2022-10-22 11:36:51

@Enoque 

Hey

Yeah the problem is that the Interface VLAN you are creating is expecting to see an IP address of the Default Gateway (192.168.10.1) on the network somewhere, this would be located on the router, which sadly in your case has a different IP.  

Ideally you would need to change your default gateway to 192.168.1.1 but as this is an SDN solution that isnt possible.     The way I have got this working before with 3rd party routers is to create just VLANs and not Interfaces, that way its just chucking the data down to the 3rd party router and it handling DHCP and interfaces.    Honestly this is very likely not a capability of your ISP router, its designed for just one VLAN (the default one) and thats it.

After rattling my brain here for an hour considering this for you, honestly dont see an easy way to do this without some VLAN capable router in place, be that 3rd party or Omada.

Unless someone can think of something I cant, to do this you will likely have to consider a router of some description.   A lot of people use Mikrotek Routers and they are feature rich devices, however if spending money it would be wise to consider the Omada router as its fairly reasonably priced and will work seamlessly for you.

Options
2022-10-22 11:44:03
Thank you very much for looking into it. I was thinking the same. Pushing down to the gateway. What I found most frustrating is that all the VLAN stuff was working fine in standalone mode. It looks like adding the controller removes a ton of L3 config. Since I havent been able to get it working since adding the controller. I got the controller to control mt EAPs. Its almost as if (tin foil hat goes on) they want me to buy THEIR router/gateway(ER605).
Options
2022-10-22 11:54:01

@Enoque 

Tin Foil hat at the ready!

Yeah this is one of the limitations of an SDN solution like this, it very much requires you to be onboard with that one vendor, Ubiquiti is virtually the same in that regard.

They are a funny type of layer 3 switch, in that they are but are not lol.  They are software aware of the gateway, but ultimately its not programmed on the switch, instead rather the router making this really just  layer 2 switch which is layer 3 aware?  As said Ubiquiti is pretty much identical in their setup and it also doesnt play well with 3rd party stuff.  Its one of the big caveats of using a simpler SDN implementation, what you gain in simplicity, you lose in control / flexability.

One advantage is that the Omada 605 router is pretty cheap and in fairness does what it says on the tin, been running it a for a year now without issue (touch wood)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 849

Replies: 5

Related Articles