OpenVPN server has hard coded DNS - how to change this to allow OpenVPN to use local DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

OpenVPN server has hard coded DNS - how to change this to allow OpenVPN to use local DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-26 12:44:53
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: V2_2.0.1 Build 20220223

I am trying to use Pihole for ad blocking while connected over OpenVPN to ER605. Problem is (after much testing and reading online) that OpenVPN server on ER605 has a hard coded DNS pointing to 8.8.8.8 which bypasses Pihole. There are no settings in web interface on OpenVPN page that I can find to change this. I cannot find any other ways to change this. Typically OpenVPN server configuration file can be edited to change any settings but I cannot access this file on ER605.

How can I change the hard coded DNS for OpenVPN server on ER605?

Options
4 Reply
Re:OpenVPN server has hard coded DNS - how to change this to allow OpenVPN to use local DNS
2022-10-26 20:56:17

Wow, this was a simple fix but it took me entire day to find it. Issue is not that ER605 has hardcoded 8.8.8.8 for DNS and it is overwriting the client config settings. Issue was that Android phone has a setting to use "Automatic" for Private DNS. This can be changed to "Off". If this is set to "Off" then VPN connection DNS is used. Otherwise google servers DNS is used.

Options
Re:OpenVPN server has hard coded DNS - how to change this to allow OpenVPN to use local DNS
2022-10-27 06:16:16

@pajtaz 

The good news is, tplink also notice this issue, and we will see the update soon.

Options
2023-01-09 16:45:52

@pajtaz 

I have found the setting you mentioned in Android and made the change your suggested, but the VPN connection still uses 8.8.8.8 as its DNS resolver:

Options
2023-01-10 12:57:27

@DanielLar I would remove 8.8.8.8 as the DNS option in your VPN profile configuration.

I have just:

dhcp-option DNS 192.168.0.19

Otherwise I don't know any other fix.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1368

Replies: 4

Related Articles