EAP245v3 , Slow Speed on lan port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-28 01:39:48
Tags: #Lan port problem
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.6
hello, I'm experiencing slow speeds on the lan port, i have tried different cat 5e cables, and one cat 6a s/ftp and iperf shows me speeds between 180mbits/sec and 280 mbits/sec including other pcs on the network. 
I have reset the router, I have tested the speed between other computers on the lan and it was working correctly, around 950 mbits/sec. I have been using iperf 2.0.9.

Does anyone have possible solutions?

Thanks in advance.

I leave you a screenshot of the iperf.

File:
speedtest.pngDownload
Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP245v3 , Slow Speed on lan port
2022-10-28 10:56:08

@Abso 

Which band wifi did you test, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

You will also need to check the link speed between your wireless devices and the EAP.

Source

Options
2022-10-28 12:33:56
The problem is not in the Wi-Fi networks but the connection between the router and the eap, it seems to be in the lan port of the eap.
I have tested the link between the router and the eap through different cables with the wifi networks on and off. 
And the speeds are the ones I put in the post above :(
Options
2022-10-28 20:57:38 - last edited 2022-10-28 20:59:24

@Abso 

How exactly you go about testing this?   Its quite difficult to test the EAP LAN port speed, I do tend to agree with Somnus in what he says.

The LAN port on the EAP cant really be tested cleanly, especially using iperf.   Can you describe how you are doing this test? 

The reason we ask is that the LAN port wont be your deciding factor, namely for   the iperf to run it needs to send data from A to B through the network.  As the AP only has WiFi connections that will be your bottleneck.

IPERF A  >  Switch (1gb)  >  EAP  LAN  (1gb)  >  WiFi connection  ~200mbps  >>  IPERF B

I cant see how else IPERF B could be connected to allow you to test this?  If you could describe your methodology and how / where you have the two iperf devices connected that would help.

The bit in red is going to be your slowness, LAN ports rarely if ever slow down from experience.  If the switch/router says the EAP is connected at 1gbps you can take that to be true.  

As Somnus says, it smells of WiFi speed and not LAN

Options
2022-10-29 02:09:48

@Abso 

I have disabled wifi on the eap245 , and the schematic is as follows:

Computer (Iperf A)(1GB)----->ROUTER(1GB)------>EAP245(Iperf B*)(WIFI DISABLED) 

*Iperf B is running ON Eap245 via PuTTy as a TP-Link  guide says.

If i replace the eap245 with a computer (same cables) iperf shows correct speeds. so I don't know if it's the Lan port (but it seems to be) but the problem is in the eap245.

Options
2022-10-29 20:14:27

@Abso 

Hey

OK so think I know what you are doing now, sorry have to be honest and say that you are going to get incorrect results with this testing.  Let me try and break this down more for you.

The iperf2 program is designed for running from a server that is NOT part of the data network flow, namely this should be a client on the edge of the network, be that a Laptop connected wirelessly or a PC plugged it doesnt matter as long as its an end point.   While you can run the putty app on the AP, its far from ideal as you part of the system being tested and not an endpoint.

The disadvantage of this is simply processing time.   APs are not powerful devices, they just take a LAN connection and chuck it to the WiFi without major processing and for that reason they dont have powerful chips.   Therefore when you enable SSH, then Enable Putty on the SSH its adding additional overhead to the AP that its not designed to support.  Now the AP is having to receive, unpack and process 1000s mbs of data and display this in real time for you, it cant do that if honest.

Also you are then sending the results for this down the same cable you are using to access the AP, as you are connected in via SSH, you are using the same cable that you are testing.. thats a no no.

The test TP Link are demonstrating is for WiFi testing, where you dont go out the same way you come in.   Sorry mate, honestly this is not a good test

To prove my theory, ran the same test here on the same hardware.. got same results of around 200mbps.  

Looking at the wired connection its reading full duplex, 1gb

and when i do a speedtest on the phone, using the same AP..  ~470mbps which is what i would expect for this phone on WiFi.    I wouldnt be able to get this if the LAN port was actually just throwing 200mbps

Ok so I need to ask, how did you start down this path and what makes you think you have an issue here?   Where you getting slow WiFi speeds?

Options
2022-10-29 22:21:14

@Philbert 

Ok, everything you say makes sense, thanks for the clarification, I don't understand why TPLINK has a website (https://www.tp-link.com/es/support/faq/3105/) with a guide on how to use iperf on their device but well that's another discussion :)
I came to this because I was looking for possible solutions at low speeds in an LG television connected to the access point through WIFI, the day coincided with an installation of an rj45 cable inside the wall between the router and the eap. So I had possible candidates to fail, the rj45 cable, the eap245 or the tv... I started in the wrong place.
Now thanks to you I have tried other speed tests on other devices (phones) and it seems to be going well. So I'm guessing it's a TV issue.

Thanks anyway and best regards.
Options
2022-10-29 22:54:19

@Abso 

Hey

Ah that makes a bit more sense, was confused how you ended up down this path :)

From experience LAN connections are full proof, they either work at the connected speed or they dont.   If there was a break or error in the cable the detection would drop its speed to 100 or 10, ~200mbps is an odd number so indicates to me something not cable or physical there. 

In terms of TVs, they have been known to have somewhat average WiFi cards in them.  Have you checked what the signal / rate / WiFi version is of the TV connection?    If its N grade (300 on 2.4ghz) or single AC (433 on 5ghz) then that might explain the situation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 365

Replies: 7

Tags

Lan port problem
Related Articles