Omada controller 3 vs 5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada controller 3 vs 5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Omada controller 3 vs 5?
Omada controller 3 vs 5?
2022-11-12 20:13:28
Model: EAP330   EAP225   EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi!

Today I have 2x EAP245v3 + 1x EAP225v3 (I think its v3), and now I also have a usage for an old EAP330, and noticed that the Omada controller v3 was updated quite recently, and actually supports all APs.

I'm mainly using the centralized management for improved roaming, and the nice mobile app.

What would be the real world differences between running omada controller v3 vs v5?

Kind regards, Erik

Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada controller 3 vs 5?
2022-11-14 20:52:36

@Erik 

Hey

In short the recent update for the v3 controller was only really to address a serious vulnerability in a logging tool called log4j, which is used in the omada controllers.  The fix for this was an updated version of the log4j.   Outside of that vulnerability fix, there will be no more updates for the v3 controller going forward as it is end of life now and has been for 2 years. 

The replacement v5 controller is actively being updated and would be a much better choice for you, it has some new features that the v3 version does not

• Faster Roaming (kvr)
  • AI Roaming
  • AI Channel Selection
  • MUCH better stats and GUI interface
  • Its actively supported

Sadly however the older EAP330 you have won't be supported in the newer controller as it is itself end of life.  If memory serves right it supported in only Controller v2, it may not in fact work with either controller version..

Also you may need to update your 245 and 225 to the newer firmware, if you havent already.

Options
2022-11-15 06:34:38

@Philbert 

Thank you for the detailed explanation! Omada controller v5 it definitely is. 

I'm a bit sad to leave the eap330 behind - it still could have been a great AP. There's so much emphasis on sustainability nowadays, TP-Link killing hardware like this is not taking responsibility. 

Asus has an interesting community, where members keep 10 year old devices like the Asus RT-N66U alive. 

Options
2022-11-15 17:03:48

@Erik 

There is a community driven project called ddwrt, its basically a replacement firmware for devices that can breathe some life into older devices.  Might be worth a look as a lot of TP Link products are supportive of this

Options
2022-12-04 05:54:31

@Philbert thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 501

Replies: 4

Related Articles