Do you publish Firmware release dates, for Omada Controllers, Gateways, Switches & EAPs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Do you publish Firmware release dates, for Omada Controllers, Gateways, Switches & EAPs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-24 19:03:22 - last edited 2022-11-24 19:07:30
Tags: #Firmware Update #Gateway ACL #Firmware Release Dates
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20220223 Rel.68551

I was holding out recently for the following OC200 Firmware.

Model OC200 v2.0 Hardware Controller version 5.6.4, 2.0.1 Build 20220223 Rel.68551.

Because it was set to introduce Stateful and Timebound ACLs, however no sooner did I upgrade but it was caveated with, now needs a future Gateway firmware release.

I have a TL-SG2008P switch and tried to apply timebound ACLs using MAC, IPGroups and Ports with the new OC200 firmware and none worked, despite now being able to apply time ranges in the ACL configuration pages, which was not previously available. A disclaimer states the switch has to be capable. I looked at the datasheet for this switch and it does support timebound ACLs, but they don't work, instead they just block immediately as opposed to at the scheduled time. Gateway clearly doesn't do it without the aforementioned firmware update.

So I would be very grateful if it would be possible to see for TP Link Omada devices if pending release dates of the next firmware releases would be possible and their intended feature introductions and bug fixes?

It is frustrating just refreshing the check Firmware, on the controller and devices page? Sometimes the Download Centre doesn't even show the latest releases in the list and you are only aware once you see via the controller notification that a latest release is available.

I have looked on the firmware under official and firmware updates in the forum and it is a bit hit and miss as to which products state latest Firmware and release notes. When available e.g. released, the Controller and Gateway advertise this, but I don't see this consistently with Switch and EAPs. Sometimes forum posts are answered with will be fixed by the next controller release, that was the case for the timebound ACL, but as mentioned now you need to wait on ER605 firmware for it to function.

Could we please see a standard place to view pending firmware releases with their target dates and what they are expecting to remedy please? So that as a customer with an Omada ecosystem you can get some sort of pending timeline as to when you can expect to see your remedy materialise please?

My Omada Ecosytem is:

OC200 v2 - 5.6.4 - 2.6.1 Build 20220921 Rel.35903

ER605 v2 - 2.0.1 Build 20220223 Rel.68551

TL-SG2008P v3 - 3.0.2 Build 20220909 Rel.75248

EAP225 v4(EU) - 1.0.0 Build 20220713 Rel. 63370

EAP225 v5(EU) - 5.0.8 Build 20220613 Rel. 51936

Many thanks in advance.

Options
15 Reply
Re:Do you publish Firmware release dates, for Omada Controllers, Gateways, Switches & EAPs?
2022-11-25 02:49:32

@Apples 

I posted a similar question here.

Hopefully we'll get a reply...

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/590130

Hopefully we'll get a reply...

OmadaLinux v5.13.10 R605 V1:1.3.0 - Build 20230511 R.51317 SG2008P V1:V1.0.8 Build 20230602 R.73473 SG2008P V3:V3.0.5 Build 20230602 R.73473 3 x EAP245 V3:V5.1.0-Build 20230104 R.79433
Options
Re:Do you publish Firmware release dates, for Omada Controllers, Gateways, Switches & EAPs?
2022-11-26 13:29:45
Thanks @TandS. I have added a reply to your post too. I have exactly the same issue. Pointed out that before I used the Omada Controller, I could set timebound ACLs on my ER605 Gateway in standalone mode. Didn’t try the TL-SG2008P in standalone as I immediately discovered that via the controller when purchased.
Options
2022-11-28 07:29:47

Dear @Apples , @TandS,

Thanks for the feedback about this issue in the community!

This switch supports the Time-Based ACL function in standalone mode.

However, controller V5.6 start to support this function, you need to upgrade the switch to the firmware which is adapter with controller V5.6 if you want to use it on the controller.

The R&D team is currently working on the firmware, so please be patient.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-12-05 18:03:54

@Hank21,

I return to my original question do TP-Link for Business publish release dates for SW updates for Devices and Controllers e.g. Switch, Router (Gateway), EAPs and SW,HW Controllers.

In many industries their is an expection on Suppliers to provide Roadmaps with release notes for their latest HW/FW and SW, as those industries have to plan off of the back of those dates in their production live networks, perhaps in turn satisfying their own customers.

It would be extremely useful if an indication of when the next updates for Device and Controller SW will be made available. I am sure an adequate disclaimer could be placed on the release so that if dates slip in GA code these are accepted by the user community to be non-binding.

For me it would be extremely helpful to have an idea of an expected month that SW may be anticipated, rather than logging in daily, weekly, monthly to check because the end users have no indication at all.

Many thanks in advance I look forward to your response to the question.

Options
2022-12-06 06:56:01

Dear  @Apples 

No, I also don't have a roadmap/publish release dates for Devices and Controllers updates. 

I will report your rquirement to our D&R department and see if we can get one. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-12-15 21:04:24

@Hank21 Is there any update from your query please? Myself, @TandS and @MayhemHack all have similar asks around features awaiting ER605v2 FW.

I also have another post in the EAP forum regarding EAP225 v5 performance and FW update requests.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/590128?replyId=1159968

Omada Hardware Controller_V5.7.6 has now released and again it states EAP FW updates are needed to benefit from features available in the latest controller release. That is now two releases of controller where Device FW Updates are called upon to gain the benefit of the Omada Controller features unlocked. It would be incredibly helpful to have a schedule so that customer expectations can be managed.

Is it possible to get some update please? Many thanks in advance.

Options
2023-01-07 20:47:01

@Hank21 Do you have any updates?

Looking at the release notes for the latest SW Omada Controller release v5.8.4 it again lists a number of new features to be unlocked by Device FW upgrades. This time however the following disclaimer was added.

"10. Added support for the following features to Omada Gateway, which requires firmware updates to be released later. Some Omada Gateway models may not support all features, details will be listed in the release notes of new firmware."

This I am afraid is a bit of an open ended statement. I have since upgrading from v5.6.4 - v5.7.4 and pending v5.8.4 HW release seen only an upgrade for my SG2008P v3 FW that just fixed memory.

TL-SG2008P(UN)_V3.6_3.0.4 Build 20221130

Bug Fixed:
1. Fixed the bug of slowly increasing memory usage.

Notes:
1. For TL-SG2008P(UN) V3 and V3.6
2. This firmware is fully adapted to Omada SDN Controller v5.6 and above.

Whereas in the same timeline the SG2210MP has had the below release plus Bug fix post, that details features unlocked.

TL-SG2210MP(UN)_V3.6_3.0.4 Build 20221021

New Features & Enhancements:
Fully adapted to Omada Controller v5.6, with the following features supported:
1. Jumbo Frame;
2. EEE;
3. Flow Control (802.3x);
4. Loopback Detection VLAN-Based;
5. LACP (802.3ad);
6. DHCP L2 Relay;
7. Time-Based ACL;
8. MAC address format customization for 802.1X.

Bug Fixed:
1. Fixed the bug that frequent topology changes of MSTP may cause the switch to crash.
2. Improved the performance of Ingress Bandwidth Control.

Notes:
1. For TL-SG2210MP(UN) V3 and V3.6
2. This firmware is fully adapted to Omada SDN Controller v5.6 and above.

As I have said before a roadmap with future releases even a matrix of Omada features supported per device would help your customers.

I have read that only Omada Controller and Gateways show there updates when posted in this forum for Switches and EAPs you need to rely on the Device Support pages as and when dropped.

Based on the latest Omada comment above.... "Some Omada Gateway models may not support all features, details will be listed in the release notes of new firmware." I am left indefinitely guessing whether my devices ER605v2, SG2008Pv3 and EAP225v4 & v5 will or won't be compatible with the new firmware. I am left to guess when the next FW release will or will not drop and then if my device will or will not get an update to the FW making it compatible or not.

It would be so much easier if the pending releases were known for each device and whether they will or will not stay in lock step with the Omada Controller functionality or not.

Perhaps the Omada Controller release notes could include a matrix of Device feature support? Perhaps you could state whether the current FW for the device/version supports the functionality and if not the pending FW release that will or whether the Device HW variant will not support.

Options
2023-01-07 22:24:18
@apples, I so do agree. I have read the same text as you described, and i am still wondering if my equipment will comply with update for gateway and controller or not. A list and timeline of all equipment affected by this issue should be made available, so you can see the impact on the equipment you have.
Options
2023-01-09 05:32:40

@Apples 

This has been forwarded to the developer team for further evaluation.

What I know is that ER605 V2 will have a firmware update very soon. 

Options
2023-01-12 20:53:28 - last edited 2023-02-23 08:36:30

@Hank21 & @Fae many thanks. Can you please keep this thread posted on your developers response please? Also do you have a timescale for "very soon", is it days, weeks, months? There many posts across all of the device type forums asking about ER605 variants latest firmware release date, it would be nice to get a better indicator if you can please? Many thanks.  

Options