Votes

ER7212PC can't assign profiles to switch ports.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-01 19:08:52 - last edited 2023-04-25 04:24:34
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20221106 Rel.81436

Hi,

I have decided to modernize my network with an ER7212PC, 2 additional switches and 2 APs. I already know Unifi, so due to the similarity I thought it shouldn't be a big problem, but already fail at simply assigning a VLAN to the switch port of the ER7212PC.

I already updated the firmware to ER7212PC(UN)_V1_1.0.1 Build 20221106 and did a factory reset.

The switches are still at the post office, so I can currently only test with the ER7212PC.

Under "Devices" I can't find a "Ports" tab on the ER7212PC to assign defined profiles to the individual ports.

So I thought that the profile is set automatically when defining the network via the check mark at the respective interface. I selected the correct ports in the new network "Test"..

..and tried to deselect the ports in the default "LAN" network, but got an error.

Maybe someone can put me on the right track to solve this problem.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER7212PC can't assign profiles to switch ports.-Solution
2023-04-25 04:24:19 - last edited 2023-04-25 04:24:22

Hello @LordPayder and other community members,

LordPayder wrote

I already updated the firmware to ER7212PC(UN)_V1_1.0.1 Build 20221106 and did a factory reset.

The switches are still at the post office, so I can currently only test with the ER7212PC.

Under "Devices" I can't find a "Ports" tab on the ER7212PC to assign defined profiles to the individual ports.

I'd like to update this feature request here.

The following firmware version has added support for modifying port PVID.

ER7212PC V1_1.0.3 Official Firmware (Released on Mar 21st, 2023)

Please take your time to update the firmware for confirmation.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER7212PC can't assign profiles to switch ports.-Solution
2023-08-02 03:46:12 - last edited 2023-08-02 03:46:41

Hello @3660,

The following Beta firmware has been released for trial, which has added LAN-LAN direction in Gateway ACL. Hope it helps.

ER7212PC V1_1.0.4_Build 20230724 Beta Firmware For Trial (Released on July 25th, 2023)

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
48 Reply
Re:ER7212PC can't assign profiles to switch ports.
2022-12-02 07:59:25

@LordPayder 

This is normal, in fact it is the same as the controller, the default VLAN Inerface cannot be modified.

You can create a different VLAN Interface and apply the profile to the port if you adopt the switch.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-12-02 09:05:36 - last edited 2022-12-02 09:07:34

this should work with the dedicated switch for sure.

However, the ER7212PC is marketed as a "3-in-1 router: Integrated router, PoE switch and Omada controller. With that definition, who would expect the switch with 11 available LAN ports to be unmanaged?

https://www.tp-link.com/de/business-networking/omada-sdn-controller/er7212pc

Options
RE:ER7212PC can't assign profiles to switch ports.
2022-12-04 11:37:34
This is advertised as "3-in-1" and assigning PVIDs other than 1 (MainLAN) should work, even with an unmanaged switch. As it is right now, this is Controller+Router+ ability to turn ON/OFF PoE on each port. If you want to connect IP cameras and assign them to a specific VLAN, that is impossible with this device only and had to keep another PoE unmanaged switch just to connect two IP cameras and keep them on VLAN 50. Therefore this is "2-in-1" with PoE not "3-in-1"
Options
2022-12-05 15:07:37

I opened a ticket with tp-link support and received a response this morning.

Currently it's not possible to assign profiles to the LAN-ports of a ER7212PC.

I'll return the product and buy a dedicated controller, router and switch to get full functionality.

Options
2022-12-05 17:44:59

@LordPayder I've had a request in for a few months that would cover part of this need, to have the ability to change gateway port PVID to non-default LAN, so please up vote it (https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/585456).

When I saw the release for this gateway, I wondered how it would be implemnted, and unfortuantly TPLink chose the easier path that doesn't actually work for any user other than simple home use.  At a minimum for usablity, TPLink should have set 8 LAN ports as a switch in the config, that even shows on the device list as a seperate switch.  But now they must add full switch UI to Omada under the gateway LAN setup.

To TPLink @Fae  @Hank21  :  A suggestion to allow this gateway to work best, along with other gateways.  Have the Interface LAN configurations on the Network page, not tied to specific gateway ports (remove the LAN Interface UI).  Then add gateway ports that are congigured for LAN, to be availble as a "Switch" device under LAN -> Switch Settings.  Addtionally since the Switch Settings Edit button moves the UI to switch device Ports tab in the device settings, add to the gateway Ports configuration to set Profile and Override Profile.

Options
2022-12-07 18:41:58

Great proposal  @JoeSea 

Also, to TPLink @Fae and @Hank21 This is a feasible proposal enabling us to properly use device like ER7212PC, which I bought based on your false advertisement claiming it is a "3-in-1")

54dcbbbd7e8f44129fce46a3e00142da

Options
2022-12-12 10:29:11

@LordPayder 

WOW.... this makes the product completely useless... Why would we need yet another home-device?

I've tried for hours and hours to do the "normal" Omada things but no way!

To TPLink @Fae  @Hank21: why even bother to bring this product fo market? Who needs it: having a controller build in, 2sfp, 4 wan interaces, routing capabilities IMPLIES a mature product. Why not make the switchports assignable to port-lans and more?

I'll send the product back and look for another solution! Pity

Options
2022-12-16 19:46:42

@F-BOS 

gonna play devils advocate here... Theres nothing that said it was a mature product.  Even being in the IT industry for 20 years, I dont expect anyhing NEW to come out of the gates fully mature with no bugs or lack of features... UNLESS you're company name starts with a "C".  AND.  Ive run into the same issue with that company too.  

Fair is Fair.  Return it and move on to the next product.  

None the less, it sucks to anticpate features and it not being there.  I get it.  Ive learned not to get my hopes up on the new hotness until a few firmware versions have been released.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-12-17 01:41:40

@KimcheeGUN Oh I fully agree.  Watching TP-Link push and improve this platform over the last 2 years, has been one of the reasons I bought into it.  Sure it's not as full featured as a BigC product, but also doesn't have annual licensing just to use and keep up-to-date.  It does seem like TPLink needs to hire a bunch more people to keep up with updates and releases, and better cover the community, but I'm guessing that will catch up, so I stick with it.

This particular product could have been better executed, it just seems like the gateway development team didn't really understand how Omada works.  And it definitely seems fixable in the long run.

Options
2022-12-18 16:33:26

@KimcheeGUN 

I understand ER7212PC is a new product and I am willing to tolerate some bugs/missing features. But I have spent 2 days configuring my home network consisting of a single ER7212PC and two EAP653. I had to simplify my network, as I cannot have multiple VLANS - so be it. But even basic features are not working properly...

DHCP Server randomly not working - It assigns the same IP address to multiple devices, or it does not work at all.

DHCP reservation for your Access point? Forget it, if you set it up, DHCP server will stop working, but not only for WLAN. Also for wired connections...

And boot time 7 minutes? 

And the loose power connector is just a cherry on top. Even a small movement with the device results in a power cable popping out.

It's not possible to configure basic network setups, that are supported by entry-level home WIFI routers...

Options

Information

Helpful: 18

Views: 8667

Replies: 48

Voters 17

+ 13 Voters