Retain mesh mode after restart

2022-12-02 22:30:37
Tags: #Mesh
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi I would like to know if it is possible to retain the mesh mode after the device restarts.

I have the following problem I'm using the device to get the internet on a remote location and then I'm transferring the internet in the house by cable and connecting this on a router inside the house.

When the device is already connected on the mesh network and then I put the network cable on the power adapter everything works fine.

But if I have a power outage or a device restart I'm experiencing the following problem.

The device thinks that is connected on the main network by cable and doesn't look for a mesh connection. To fix this I have to be on-site to remove the cable from the power adapter restart the device and wait to connect on the mesh network and then I connect back the router.

Options
23 Reply
Re:Retain mesh mode after restart
2022-12-03 01:39:57

@aleblack161 

Hello there.

I use a pair of EAP225-Outdoor in a mesh configuration, however the 'client/downlink end' is connected to a switch and the 'donor/uplink end' is connected to a router.  When the client restarts after a power outage it rebinds with its upstream AP just fine, so I'm thinking what you are proposing should work Tip Top.  My wireless network is managed by an Omada OC200 controller, and the controller, router and donor AP are connected to a UPS.  This means they don't drop out during a power outage, which might be a significant contributor to you challenge.

Couple of questions:

1. At the internet/donor end of the wireless link, is there a router?
  2. Are you using the same AP at each end (i.e. make, model)?
  3. Do you have a controller managing the APs, or are they configured standalone?

I have a couple of spare TP-Link APs - I'll see if I can set up a stand alone wireless link similar to what I think you're describing and see if I can create something stable.  I'm thinking I'll use an EAP225-Outdoor and a CPE210.  Fairly different devices but should be okay. It might take a couple of days before I get around to having a go at it.

Would you mind specifying the APs you are using for the wireless link?  And a little description of the connection arrangement at each end?  Obviously no external IP addresses, user credentials etc.

AW

Options
2022-12-03 11:30:35

@AngryWombat 

Hello dear

My setup is as it appears on the image and everything is controlled with an OC200  

1.20.1 Build 20220921 Rel.35880

The red noted Melathraki is the client/downlink end where im sending internet.

So from the lan port of Melathraki i connect a cable with a TP-LINK TL-WR940N which i have setup as access point.

The UPS is the only solution for now but if its drained i have to visit the client just to pull a cable out and put it back in.

Options
2022-12-05 06:32:31

@aleblack161 

You need to make sure your Controller is on main AP site, and keeps online.

Options
2022-12-05 07:07:03

@Somnus 

The controller is online as i can access the rest network and check which device is online from the https://omada.tplinkcloud.com/

Options
2022-12-05 07:34:41

@aleblack161 & @Somnus .

I see the TL-WR940N is a router - are you connecting the LAN cable between the Melathraki AP and this router to the router's WAN port?  If not, try connecting there and set up an entirely separate network in this location.  I'm thinking that maybe you have the AP connected to a LAN port on the router (at the house) and because of this the AP, as you say, thinks it's already connected to a network and doesn't look for a mesh connection?  A guess, but if you're connected into a LAN port, it's worth trying the router's WAN port.

I tried this setup (using an old Netcomm router, but it's the same principle) on Sunday and everything worked fine.  I just used DHCP on the router's WAN and let my normal router sort out the IP addresses etc.  You might need to play around with fixed routes.

I removed power from my client AP, waited for the controller to tell me it was disconnected then powered it back up.  After a few minutes the controller had the AP reconnected and back online.  Not quite the same situation you described initially - my donor AP was never powered down.  However the client AP reconnected automatically.

Another thing perhaps worth checking - in the Omada controller, go to Settings > Site.  From there, on the right hand pane, you'll see Services.  Mine are configured as:

• Mesh:  Enabled (obviously you have, 'cause that's working)
  • Auto Failover: Enabled
  • Full-Sector DFS: Enabled

I think these are default values.  At the moment i only have the one AP connected wirelessly, whereas I see you have two.  Not that it should cause any issues, but check to see if you have the settings configured the same as mine.  I thought there was an option to lock to a Root AP (donor AP) but I can't seem to find it.

Otherwise, I'm really unsure, sorry.  Anytime any of my APs power down they all reconnect, once the power is back on.  I'd be keen to hear if you change any configuration (settings/connections etc) and if you have any success.

Good Luck.

AW

Options
2022-12-05 07:47:35

@AngryWombat 

Hello dear

The TL-WR940N is on WAN port and also i have tried this "set up an entirely separate network in this location" but it didn't make any difference.

Also i Checked the Settings > Site. and its as you proposed.

Thank you for info.

Can you tell me please the versions of your client AP / donor AP.

Regards

Options
2022-12-05 08:00:00

@aleblack161 @AngryWombat 

Also does anyone knows what this option does?

It says Set Priority AP and its only enabled on this device while on the second its not.

Options
2023-01-09 14:01:11

I have the same issue. After a factory reset, I can adopt the AP over Mesh and it is working. After a power cycle, it loses the connection.

Mesh AP:
Model:EAP225-Outdoor(EU) v3.0
Firmware Version:5.0.8 Build 20220613 Rel. 51936
Wifi Mesh uplink Signal:-63 dBm

Uplink AP:
Model:EAP245(EU) v3.0
Firmware Version:5.0.6 Build 20220429 Rel. 44315

Controller
Controller Version 5.7.6
Model OC200 1.0
Firmware Version 1.21.7 Build 20221206 Rel.58608

Options
2023-06-08 10:05:08

I have the same issue.

One EAP610 (v2) and EAP225-outdoor hardwired to the network, software controller.
I just bought another EAP610 (v3) to make mesh with the existing EAP610. It works after adoption, but if i reboot/power cycle the meshed access point, or change anything wifi related settings, it goes disconnected and the only way to recover it to make a factory reset. 
If i plug in this ap to wired network in disconnected state, the controller goes into adopting state, readopts it, then works as wired ap, but if i plug it out, the mesh mode not working anymore until i do a factory reset. 

Another thing i noticed: I use an IPTV box with the existing EAP610, the multicast is working well. If i do the same from the meshed AP, the multicast just stops and can't watch the TV stream. 

Controller Version 5.9.31 (Intel NUC with Ubuntu)

Model:

EAP610(EU) v2.0

Firmware Version:

1.0.2 Build 20220120 Rel. 53691

Model:

EAP225-Outdoor(EU) v3.0

Firmware Version:

5.1.0 Build 20220926 Rel. 62456

Model:

EAP610(EU) v2.0

Firmware Version:

1.0.2 Build 20220120 Rel. 53691

Is there any fix or workaround to make this stable?

Options
2023-08-15 10:58:18

@b10up - have you found a solution to this issue?

I have a similar problem so taking the opportunity to bump this.  My home setup is as follows:

Controller:

- Version:  5.9.31

- Deployment: Docker with network_mode: host - no obvious network port conflicts on Docker server

2 x EAP610(EU) v3.0

- Firmware: 1.3.2 Build 20230414 Rel. 54437

EAP1: hardwired to internet router

EAP2: wireless meshed with uplink to EAP1

Issues:

1: Either a power cycle or controller initiatied restart of EAP2 will result in a 'Disconnected' state for EAP2.  The AP will stay Disconnected until it is forgotten by the controller and factory reset at which point it can be re-adopted by the controller

2: Restarting the controller Docker container will result in both APs entering 'Disconnected' state.  EAP1 is automatically re-adopted and correctly configured, EAP2 requires forgetting and reset as per issue 1 above.

Any fixes for this?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1691

Replies: 23

Tags

Related Articles