Retain mesh mode after restart

Retain mesh mode after restart

23 Reply
Re:Retain mesh mode after restart
2023-08-15 11:15:26

@YetAnotherUser 
No unfortunately. I sent a support ticket but they don't respond at all.  I managed to hardwire the secondary AP as well but i will avoid omada series in the future.

Options
2023-08-15 11:58:52

@YetAnotherUser 

Hello there.

I don't have an answer for this problem.  Fortunately for me my APs seem to reconnect after a power-cycle event regardless of that being a reboot, simply being unplugged then reconnected, or say a power outage.  I have two (2) EAP225-Outdoor set in mesh configuration, plus a handful of other APs.  I can turn either device off, turn it back on and the link re-establishes itself within a moment or two.  The remaining APs (all POE) are the same - unplug, wait, plug back in.  Moments later, good to go.

What I have done for all my APs is to configure a Fallback IP configuration.  Have you done this too?  If not, log into the Omada controller, go to Devices, select the AP the Config -> IP settings.  I have set all mine up fixed DHCP (so each AP will always receive the same IP address from the router), but I have also configured the backup IP settings the same.  No idea if this will help as the Omada controller seems to be able to find new devices regardless of IP configuration.

I have a planned power outage coming in few days.  At least some of my APs will be powered down before the backup generator kicks in.  The same will occur when the mains power is restored (black change-over only).  I'll keep an eye on the APs and let you know if they all reconnect on their own.

Regards

AW.

Options
2023-08-15 14:21:15

Thanks,  @AngryWombat @b10up 

I've had a quick play with the Fallback IP settings, as far as I can tell they don't make any difference to the AP getting stuck in Disconnected after a reboot command sent from the controller.  This may make sense as the mesh'd EAP cannot apply an IP config without an active mesh uplink. 

A had a trawl through the controller logs, they are not that helpful.  After sending the reboot command I get told that:

INFO [manage-work-group-15] [] c.t.s.o.m.d.p.t.c(): Device <MESH'D-EAP-MAC> OmadacId(CONTROLLER-ID) changed to status CONNECTED_ERROR, which don't need to handle.

After a bit:

WARN [manage-work-group-2] [] c.t.s.o.m.d.d.m.m.b(): mesh inform update child OmadacId(CONTROLLER-ID) DeviceMac(MESH'D-EAP-MAC) from parent DeviceMac(WIRED-EAP-MAC), image not exist or not wireless

This last gets repeated until I get bored and factory reset the EAP.

I've opened a ticket with TPLink, I'll keep digging and follow up here if I get anything useful.

Options
2023-08-16 07:21:52

@YetAnotherUser hello dear and good morning from Greece. In a quick response there is no fix yet.

Trying to help you i think to avoid resetting devices after restarting the controller try to power off the EAP2 remove the LAN cables power on the EAP2 again and wait to sync. If it syncs back the you can put the cables back. Try this and if you want give us feedback.

Options
2023-08-16 07:33:02

@YetAnotherUser 
You don't have to factory reset the AP, if you plug in an ethernet cable, it will reach the controller and become accessible.  It seems, not all of the omada APs are affected, i have an outdoor 225 AP and an EAP610 v2 and a v3 and it seems, only the 610v2 has this bug. 
Another thing if you use separated management vlan: you must create an ssid for that, otherwise it won't work in mesh mode at all.

Options
2023-08-16 08:29:45 - last edited 2023-08-16 08:31:47

Thanks  @b10up - this is kind of frustrating as if I could run ethernet to the AP I would and wouldn't need the mesh backhaul.

Out of interest does your EAP610v3 work as expected to re-establish a wifi mesh uplink post restart?  The 610s I have are EAP610(EU) v3.0.

Does anyone know which (if any) of the Omada EAPs do work as expected to re-establish wifi mesh post restart?  I might return the 610s for something else.

@AngryWombat - as an aside, I have tried both fallback and fixed IP configurations neither of which have worked.

I appreciate the input from the community here, thanks.

Options
2023-08-16 10:09:02
It seems, the EAP610v2 and EAP225 has no issues with this, they are re-establishing the mesh. Only the EAP610v3 seems affected.
Options
2023-08-16 10:11:10 - last edited 2023-08-16 10:17:50

Got it, thanks @b10up 

TPLink support have just provided a 1.4.0 beta of the 610 firmware but the issue still exists for me.

Options
2023-08-16 11:41:24

@YetAnotherUser 

Just for the record, this is what my Wireless network is made of.  I don't know why I'm not experiencing the same challenges as some, maybe I've just got lucky.  I've tried to explain it as clearly as possible so you can compare your network to mine:

All devices are connected via gigabit LAN, POE except the Workshop &Shed APs that are just plugged into the mains supply.  These occasionally drop off the network due to power outages but always reconnect by themselves.  All devices are on the same LAN (subnet) using Fixed DHCP plus have fallback IP addresses configured.  The controller and the LAN (POE) have a UPS backup.

AP Name/      Model                        H/W version      F/W version

House          EAP610 (EU)                     V1.0               1.0.4

Office           EAP225-Outdoor (US)       V1.0               5.1.0

Workshop    EAP225-Outdoor (EU)       V3.0               5.1.0 - mesh connected to Office/Shed

Shed           EAP225-Outdoor (EU)        V3.0               5.1.0 - mesh connected to Office/Workshop

Lounge        EAP615-Wall (US)              V1.0              1.1.6

Bedroom     EAP615-Wall (US)              V1.0               1.1.6

Study          EAP615-Wall (US)              V1.0               1.1.6

Controller is an OC200, Ver 5.9.32, F/W 1.24.0 Build 20230328 Rel. 52384

I hope

Options
2023-08-16 20:59:00

Just reminder for everyone in this storyline.

I want to point out that the problem which we are trying to solve here is:

When we have EAP Devices which are connected wirelessly with mesh network and on these devices we use their LAN port to get “downstream” Internet. When they restart the only way to be back online and controlled by the controller is to go there on site at the one specific EAP device and remove the LAN cable from which we receive “downstream” Internet and restart the device again. When the device is back online and connected to the controller then we can put their LNA cable back And we have Internet access again.

Until the time of this post I haven't resolved this issue and in one specific location where I had this problem with many power outages I was forced to use a simple Wi-Fi repeater independent from the mesh network show that I could get Internet from this and share with LAN cable.

Old network topology

Lan cable - - -

Wireless mesh network ***

Router ----- Controller ---- EAP device #1 ----- EAP device #2 *** EAP device #3 --- End user device

Current network topology

Lan cable - - -

Wireless mesh network ***

Wireless connection (Wi-Fi repeater) ###

Router ----- Controller ---- EAP device #1 ----- EAP device #2 *** EAP device #3 ### Wi-Fi repeater --- End user device

Options

Tags

Related Articles