Redundancy using two routers and two wans

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-13 11:36:00
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a project and would like to know the feasibility of establishing the following network.

PC1 ----- Router1 ----- wan1 ----- Router2 ----- PC2 

|             |

------------ wan2 -----------

The routers are connected to two different transmission links and the objective is that link2 of wan2 is a backup of link1 (wan1) in case of any failure.

I'm using the TP-Link ER605 routers, however I can change if necessary. I started using IPsec to connect the PCs, however I would need two LANs on each router for the two links to work and the load balance and backup functions of the routers to be used. 

I tried some configurations using static routes, but I was still unsuccessful.

I thank you and appreciate any suggestions and information to establish such a network.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Redundancy using two routers and two wans
2022-12-14 05:46:08

@J0hnes

You have multi subnets on both routers right? 

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but I think all you need to do is to set up two IPSec rules, for both WANs.

On controller you can add multi remote subnets, and every WAN can add a rule.

Options
2022-12-14 15:10:18

Hello @Somnus 

Thanks for reply.

I tried using two IPSec and assigning one to each WAN. However, for this, it is necessary to create two LANs on each router, so that it is not possible to establish a connection between them new LANs.

This option of adding a remote subnet does not have in the ER605 router that I am using.

The idea of this project is simple, I want to connect two PC through a point-to-point link. In addition, I also need a point-to-point backup link2 in case link1 fails. I tried to connect these links in different WANs to use the router's load balance and backup functions, but perhaps this is not the best option.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2023-01-06 07:22:07

@J0hnes Your demand looks more like “SD-WAN”, which is not supported on TP-Link's business router up to now

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 619

Replies: 3

Related Articles