two clients one port two diffrent vlan´s

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-18 18:34:26 - last edited 2022-12-19 16:43:53
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi! I want 2 clients in my office (office only have one cable) to be able to connect to two different vlan´s. Is this possible with my setup, and how do i do it?

I will also have a standard switch of course to split the port in the office

Setup:

Router ER605

Switch TL-SG2008P

Omada controller

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:two clients one port two diffrent vlan´s-Solution
2022-12-18 23:32:00 - last edited 2022-12-19 16:43:53

@MickeG Yes, that will do.  The switch for the office will need to be a managed switch to break out the VLANs to specific ports for the devices, unmanaged switches can only pass VLANs through and most computer NICs are not VLAN aware.  Once you have the switch, set up a second LAN in Omada, with a VLAN ID of your choice.  That VLAN will go on the port to the new switch as a tagged VLAN.  The new switch will get an IP on the untagged VLAN (this is generally set the same as the PVID).  At the new switch, set the uplink port to match the pair of VLANs coming to it, main LAN as the untagged VLAN second one as the tagged VLAN.  Then for the ports to the computers, set the port as only untagged for the specific VLAN for that computer.

An example, your two VLANs Main LAN (VLAN ID 1), Work LAN (VLAN ID 5).  Out of the SG2008P, VLAN 1 is untagged and port PVID is 1, VLAN 5 is tagged.  Into new switch's uplink port, setting the same as SG2008P.  Port to first home computer is VLAN 1 untagged, PVID 1, no tagged VLANs.  Port to work computer is VLAN 5 untagged, PVID 5, no tagged VLANs.

If you choose to get an Omada managed switch for the new switch, the untagged (PVID) of the uplink port needs to be the same VLAN as your main LAN (this can differ with a management VLAN but I think that is currently beyond your setup based on the question).

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:two clients one port two diffrent vlan´s-Solution
2022-12-18 23:32:00 - last edited 2022-12-19 16:43:53

@MickeG Yes, that will do.  The switch for the office will need to be a managed switch to break out the VLANs to specific ports for the devices, unmanaged switches can only pass VLANs through and most computer NICs are not VLAN aware.  Once you have the switch, set up a second LAN in Omada, with a VLAN ID of your choice.  That VLAN will go on the port to the new switch as a tagged VLAN.  The new switch will get an IP on the untagged VLAN (this is generally set the same as the PVID).  At the new switch, set the uplink port to match the pair of VLANs coming to it, main LAN as the untagged VLAN second one as the tagged VLAN.  Then for the ports to the computers, set the port as only untagged for the specific VLAN for that computer.

An example, your two VLANs Main LAN (VLAN ID 1), Work LAN (VLAN ID 5).  Out of the SG2008P, VLAN 1 is untagged and port PVID is 1, VLAN 5 is tagged.  Into new switch's uplink port, setting the same as SG2008P.  Port to first home computer is VLAN 1 untagged, PVID 1, no tagged VLANs.  Port to work computer is VLAN 5 untagged, PVID 5, no tagged VLANs.

If you choose to get an Omada managed switch for the new switch, the untagged (PVID) of the uplink port needs to be the same VLAN as your main LAN (this can differ with a management VLAN but I think that is currently beyond your setup based on the question).

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:two clients one port two diffrent vlan´s
2022-12-19 16:52:55
Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I dont have a managed switch in my office, but I will buy one this weekend. To be honest I have one laptop and one ps5 in the office, the ps5 is not vlan aware i supose. All the consoles in my house, like ps4 ps5, nintendo switch are on a seperate VLAN because of the port forwarding some games requiers, and I don´t think i am wrong when seperating the laptop, server etc in my house from the console vlan. Could it be possible if I connect the unmanaged switch to console port on omada switch and add a vlan id on my laptops NIC? Thanks again
Options
Re:two clients one port two diffrent vlan´s
2022-12-19 18:52:06

@MickeG Many wired NICs have the ability to set the VLAN tagging of the connection, you would have to look in the driver settings for your computer (for Windows look in Device Manager -> Network Adaptor -> and then the advanced tab of the driver).  Changing the VLAN setting in Windows is very cumbersome, and so if you are connecting to other networks often, it's better to let the network/switch handle the VLAN assignment.  You would also need to check that your unmanaged switch is 802.1Q compliant to pass through VLANs, not all unmanaged switches can pass through VLANs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 362

Replies: 3