Can Omada replace TP-Link OnHub for long range (300') Wi-Fi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-24 21:44:47

Hi folks,

I live in a rural area on a small farm and need to replace my TP-Link OnHub system before Google kills it January 2023. Currently 2 OnHub routers/APs in a mesh configuration do a good job providing Wi-Fi throughout my 3 story home AND 300' away to my barn. I have no neighbors close by, so I don't have interference from other Wi-Fi systems.

For the past several years I've used 2 TP-Link OnHub TGR1900 AC1900 routers/Wi-Fi access points to covered my 3 story home and barn with Wi-Fi supporting 25 wireless devices (Wi-Fi 5, 2.4 and 5 GHz) including 4 full HD security cameras, 2 Roku, 1 iPad, 2 desktop computers, 2 notebook computers, 2 to 4 smartphones, and several smart speakers, bulbs and outlets. Usually at least 4 cameras, 2 smartphones, the iPad, a Roku, Google speakers, and a computer are actively in use/streaming. For years my Wi-Fi life was good.

My barn is 300' away from the OnHub mesh point in my house and has 1 Google Nest Mini speaker and 1 HD security camera. I can stand at the barn and stream audio/video from the camera  to my phone, and stream music over the Nest Mini without any issues. That is, until Google kills support for OnHub and Google Home January, 2023...

One OnHub is connected to my T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Gateway WAN port which provides 25-150Mbps down and 10-50 Mbps up. The other OnHub is  floor down, and passes through 3 walls and is connected via mesh Wi-Fi. The Google Home app says the connection is excellent.

TP-Link OnHub routers have 13 internal antennae with one having a parabolic reflector that pushes Wi-Fi signals horizontally past my barn up to 400' away through 1 exterior wall made of sheetrock, fiberglass insulation, foil covered insulating foam board and T111 wooden siding, and about 30' of foliage in the garden. This is not theoretical, this has been in place and working for several years. Signal strength at the barn varies between -65 and -55 dBm on the 2.4GHz band.

I have to replace my OnHub routers because Google will stop supporting the OnHub devices and, with the new version of Google Home coming out, apparently the old version of Google Home will stop working mid-January, meaning I have to find another solution.

I know TP-Link Omada and Ubiquiti Unifi make gear to support long range outdoor Wi-Fi. I can't tell if I can buy just the Ubiquiti or Omada long range or mesh access points and configure them in a mesh without also running a "controller" on my computer, in the cloud, or a separate device. I'm not opposed to running the Omada OC200 controller to support an extended network, but I don't have Ethernet running to my barn, only AC power. I know the Omada devices use POE switches or POE injectors for power.

From what I've read, to cover my home and barn I'll need:

ISP

1 - T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Gateway (my current ISP provides 25-150Mbps down and 5-50Mbps up)

Network

1 - TP-Link TL-SG1005P V2 or later 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch

OR

1 - TP-Link ER605 Omada Gigabit VPN Router (with WAN ports, POE ports, and USB). Do I have to use this, or will the 5 port gigabit PoE switch be enough?

1 - TP-Link OC200 controller to manage the APs

1 (or more) - TP-Link EAP610/650-Outdoor Omada WiFi6 or EAP225-Outdoor Wi-Fi 5 access points to cover my barn, and maybe another to cover my home
1 (or more) - TP-Link EAP610/620/650 Ceiling/Wall Omada WiFi 6 or EAP225/245/265 Wi-Fi 5 access points to cover my home

2 (or more) TP-Link POE injectors for the access points (I think they come with the APs).

Will I need a to connect my T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Gateway WAN port to a TP-Link ER605 router, or can I simply plug it into the TP-Link TL-SG1005P 5 Port Gigabit PoE switch?

I'm looking for a fairly simple configuration that won't break the bank.

Any recommendations you have for a working configuration to replace the functionality of my two TP-Link OnHub router/mesh devices would be greatly appreciated!

The following information is not necessary but these are what I've tried in the recent past with no positive results, listed in order of best to worst:

I've tried Ubiquiti Amplifi Alien Router (Wi-Fi 6 single unit), Synology RT2600ac router, 3 different TP-Link Deco mesh systems (Wi-Fi 5 and 6, two and three unit kits, and one with powerline Ethernet), a Netgear Orbi dual band mesh Wi-Fi system with one router and two satellites (RBK13), Netgear Nightwawk AX1800 router and satellite, TP-Link Omada AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Indoor/Outdoor Access Point (EAP225-Outdoor) stand alone without the controller, too many range extenders and repeaters to count and many others.

Thanks in advance...

Jeff

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 285

Replies: 0

Related Articles