Jetstream switch preventing proper ARP table updates/gateway connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-13 15:38:48
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 Build 20220708 Rel. 53227

Hi all,

I have recently installed all new network gear. The SG3452 is my main switch with a Firewalla Gold (FWG) acting as my router/gateway connected to my ISP. The switch and router are lagged together on a two port trunk. The SDN controller is running on a dedicated instance of Ubuntu server VM with a dedicated NIC hosted on a Windows Server 2012 box.

Through the SDN interface I've configured my various vlans to separate business, family, IoT etc. including unique SSIDs for each subnet. The same VLANs are configured in the FWG and there is currently a rule defined permitting all networks access to the internet.

Accross the VLANs and with various devices (computers, streaming devices) some devices can access the network and some can not. For example, I have two identical  Roku TVs and one Roku Ultra (all wired). One of the TVs and the Ultra work fine, the second TV does not connect on wired or wireless. I have one Win10 comptuer that won't connect on wired or wireless, I have another Win10 computer that wired works, but wireless does not.

In all cases the devices give an error that basically says they can't connect to the Gateway.

In the case of one the Win10 computer that works on wired but not wireless, when I run ARP -a the table for the wired interface looks fine (matches other working devices), but for the wireless interface the table is clearly wrong.

What is strange is that the devices all initially conenct to the gateway, as they all initially get IPs in the correct subnet, and the devices are registered in the Gateway (and the switch), but then, after that initial handshake, they don't get any further.

By in large I've accepted the default settings in the SDN for the Switch/network. I've mostly been focused on getting the VLANs sorted, and establishing base connectivity. I previously posted about having trouble with a secondary switch hung of the main switch, and I have to wonder if this issue was impacting that as well.

Any advice would be appreciated, and can certainly post more details or answer questions if I have not provided sufficient information.

Thank you!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Jetstream switch preventing proper ARP table updates/gateway connection
2023-01-13 15:42:16

One additional piece of information.

In the case of the Roku TV that would not connect, as a test (and because I wanted to watch TV on that set) I tried bypassing the switch and plugged the TV's wired port directly into the remaining port on the Firewalla Gold. The TV worked fine. This indicates to me that the settings in the FWG are 'ok' (I didn't experiment with VLANs on the FWG port) and that something in the SDN/Switch configuration is impacting some, but not all devices.

Options
2023-01-19 14:09:46

@rpiboy anyone have some suggestions?

Options
2023-01-19 16:24:01

@rpiboy 

Maybe the switch blocks some ports because of a network loop? Maybe there is an issue with the IP configuration?

Kris K
Options
2023-01-19 19:17:33

@KJK 

I believe loop-back protection is turned on, so your suggestion would be to turn that off and see what happens?

What do you mean by IP configuration? On the client or on the switch/router? All of the devices/interfaces that are having issues are ful DHCP and automatic DNS, so there are no pre-configured network settings. There are other devices/interfaces functioning with same full auto onfiguration.

Thanks,

-Robert

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 378

Replies: 4