VLANs no longer working after firmware update(s)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-14 14:40:27 - last edited 2023-01-17 10:55:42

I updated the firmware on my three switches (TL-SG2008 v3.0, TL-SG2210MP v1.0, TL-SG2008P v1.0) and after the update, devices on custom VLANs are either not assigned an IP address or are assigned an incorrect IP address.  Testing on one of the servers I'm unable to ping the gateway (TL-R605) and when I try to renew the ip it tells me it's unable to reach the DHCP server.  I tried rolling back the firmware upgrades, but that did not resolve the problem.  I have removed and re-adopted all the switches, tried different configurations of switches and ports, removed, reset, and re-adopted the gateway, updated the TL-R605 to the latest beta firmware, all to no avail.  I worked with TP Link support for a few hours and they were unable to solve the problem either.  At this point the only functional devices are those on the LAN network.  Any suggestions on potential solutions or strategies to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VLANs no longer working after firmware update(s)-Solution
2023-01-16 01:11:32 - last edited 2023-01-17 10:55:42

@mehmeh 

Deleting all of the VLANs, Port Profiles, and ACL Rules, then rebuilding them resolved the issue for me.  Good luck!

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:VLANs no longer working after firmware update(s)
2023-01-14 22:45:12

@jarobata Some places to look that I can think of.  Did you try deleting and rebuilding the VLANs and Profiles?  Do you have any switch ACLs that could interfere?  Are there custom routing settings?  Are you using authentication (802.1X, Raduis)?  Did Jumbo Frames get turned on?

Options
2023-01-15 23:17:42 - last edited 2023-01-15 23:19:09

@jarobata 

I'm in the same boat 

up to now I have no found a solution.   ( didn't have time to start from scratch and this weekend I had no time to fix :(  )

so I hope you might find a none destructive solution 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/594676

Options
2023-01-16 01:09:11

@JoeSea 

Thank you for the suggestions.  I had deleted some of the VLANs and Profiles, but I tried deleting all of them and starting from scratch, that seems to have done the trick.  Thanks again for the assistance.

Options
Re:VLANs no longer working after firmware update(s)-Solution
2023-01-16 01:11:32 - last edited 2023-01-17 10:55:42

@mehmeh 

Deleting all of the VLANs, Port Profiles, and ACL Rules, then rebuilding them resolved the issue for me.  Good luck!

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-17 23:01:09

@Fae Seems like a nasty bug to me!  

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-01-21 17:36:27 - last edited 2023-01-21 19:39:53

@jarobata 

This was not a solution.   I had to cut power to my networking equipment and after reboot the VLANs are broken again.  This time rebuilding everything from scratch did not fix the problem so I'm out of ideas.

Edit:  After a few hours of deleting everything and rebuilding I eventually got it to take again.

Options
2023-01-21 20:38:19

@jarobata could you give more techincical details about the network layout, how the VLANs are setup, and the gaol of the setup?  That way folks here could maybe come up with some more ideas around why this is happening.

Options
2023-01-23 16:00:50

@JoeSea 

Setup is pretty basic, consists of a TL-R605, TL-SG2008, TL-SG2210MP, and TL-SG2008P (and a pair of EAP245s).

Networks are Admin, Cameras, Guest, and LAN.  Switch ACLs setup so Cameras can only talk to Admin.  Guest is denied access to Admin and LAN.  Gateway ACL denies Cameras access to any IPGroup.  Port Profiles setup so Cameras are on Camera and Server is on Admin.

General goal is to deny Cameras access to the internet and deny Guest access to anything but the internet.

I'm considering replacing the TL-R605 with a PFSense router given the issues it's caused me in the past (regularly getting disconnected and having to be readopted).

Options
2023-01-24 18:06:32 - last edited 2023-01-24 18:23:10

The VLANs just broke in the middle of the day, no change or restart of networking equipment.  Server on port with profile assigned lost network access.  I rebooted the server and it's no longer getting assigned an IP address in the correct VLAN.

EDIT: Not sure if this is relevant, but early this morning there are four events indicating the LAN IP address/mask of the switch (TL-SG2008 v3.0) the server is connected to was changed (all to the same values) and then a message right about when the server lost network access indicating the switch was connected.

Options
2023-01-30 13:50:42

jarobata wrote

I updated the firmware on my three switches (TL-SG2008 v3.0, TL-SG2210MP v1.0, TL-SG2008P v1.0) and after the update, devices on custom VLANs are either not assigned an IP address or are assigned an incorrect IP address.  Testing on one of the servers I'm unable to ping the gateway (TL-R605) and when I try to renew the ip it tells me it's unable to reach the DHCP server.  I tried rolling back the firmware upgrades, but that did not resolve the problem.  I have removed and re-adopted all the switches, tried different configurations of switches and ports, removed, reset, and re-adopted the gateway, updated the TL-R605 to the latest beta firmware, all to no avail.  I worked with TP Link support for a few hours and they were unable to solve the problem either.  At this point the only functional devices are those on the LAN network.  Any suggestions on potential solutions or strategies to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Dear  @jarobata 

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. 

The ticket ID is TKID230151513, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1186

Replies: 12

Related Articles