extending wifi 300m away from EAP 225 access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-23 11:36:46 - last edited 2023-01-23 11:49:57

i have a  EAP225 outdoor WAP , that works via a 100m PoE connection , i would like to use it to provide some  internet on a lodge which is clear line of site 275m away

Can i achieve this , when i take an i phone to the point near the lodge (50 m away)  i get 1 or 2 bars and a speed check of typically 5 down and 15 up (wired internet is 500/60 and i get close to this when next to the WAP)

i was thinking , change antenna on 5Ghz output to a directional one to get a better signal  (any recommendations what gain would i aim for , what is the  connector type i need) , and then 50 m from the lodge have  another set up on a pole  ( ? what ) and run 50 of ethernet to the lodge where i have 12v power, which can be stepeed up to 24v . for a POE injector ?

looking for simple TP link solution , internet speeds only need to be basic , would  be great to get 25 consistently , latency not a problem , just for some securirty camera and browsing   

Options
4 Reply
Re:extending wifi 300m away from EAP 225 access point
2023-01-24 12:45:05

@Farnley 

300m is a fair distance and honestly, the EAP225 would struggle to provide a decent connection at that distance, even with a directional antenna.  The transmission power of the AP simply isnt strong enough

You would be better with 2x of the CPE210 or CPE510 to span that distance.   Set one on your home (internet source) and the other facing it at the lodge, they will then transmit over this distance peer to peer.  Once its at the lodge, you can then connect a switch, EAP or whatever you want to the CPE and use it for standard WiFi access.

In short the CPE to CPE connection would be a wireless cable for you! 

Options
2023-01-24 16:02:51

@Philbert 

Difference between 210 or 510 , budget is flexible  so presumably 510  has more power / range , or what ?

Also do either operate as PtP AND a WAP simultaneously  , ie if i switched out the  EAP225 at the sending end could i also access the internet  from it witlessly , with for example an iPad in the near (15m, i m not needing a wide wifi footprint) vicinity OR do i need to keep the 225 and get for example a 510 set up as well .  If i do this presumably i need a POE switch (do TP Link have an external grade one?)  to enable the current Ethernet feeding the PoE to the 225  to become two POE cables to run the 225 and 510   - does this make sense and would it work ie two wireless devices running from one PoE 24V TP link injector approx 100m away 

Options
2023-01-24 16:12:48

@Farnley 

Hey

No the 510 is just the slightly newer model and supports 5ghz, speed wise both are the same at 300mbps.   At 300m, its childs play for these devices so either will do for you, they are literally designed for KMs of range.

These can be set as APs for client access, but personally I would keep them as PtP (for my customers anyways), remember its a sectorised array so will be sending any signal it has away from your lodge..  not ideal for clients inside. 

What i usually do it buy a cheap weatherproof outdoor box, stick in a cheap POE switch and cable from the CPE to switch, switch to EAP 225.   Use the EAP225 for local access and the CPE for backbone.    Its the cleanest way ive found to set this up and its reasonably priced.

Outdoor box.. $30

Cheap POE switch  $30

CPE 210  $50.. x2  

say $200 all in (as you have the EAP225)

Options
2023-01-25 13:32:58 - last edited 2023-01-25 13:34:27

@Philbert 

Thanks , have decided  to take the CPE route forward , but in a measured way, i m looking for a solution that works, and as i have 100m PoE concerned that might be 1st hurdle , although went with good quality solid core Cat 6 and the EAP225 works, so hoping CPE on relatively low power setting will 

ordered CPE from Amazon , has return policy, so will take out not pres assemble  and then see if it powers up and i can set to AP mode.  

I will then point to the location where i would like the client device and will see what signal strength i get, plus i will see if i can browse internet next to the AP point in the garden . If this works,  , and take the plunge on the second CPE at the lodge, only challenge then will be to get PoE to work from a 12v source (i do have an  inverter but do not want to run 24/7) .  i ve seen some PoE injectors  that step up from 12v to 24V on line.

Finally i would want to create a 12v run wireless AP in the lodge , and will start to look at hardware options for that , or could i just relocate  the EAP225  to the lodge (but again as no direct power option in the unit would need to look at PoE again)  presumably the EAP would need t connect to the CPE via a switch  which is what i think you were referring to in your last sentence?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 299

Replies: 4