Custom dynamic dDNS issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-24 08:09:08 - last edited 2023-02-10 07:30:37

Hi, I am setting up a custom dynamic DNS service. The lowest update interval is 1 hour - why is it so long? Why can't I change for 1 or 5 minutes?

Anyway, the question is, what if there is a reboot of my router / WAN? Do I still have to wait 1 hour for the update? If so, then this is a complete nonsense.

As a test, I did a manual WAN reboot. The router got a new public IP, but the dDNS service was not updated.

In my opinion, it should monitor the last reported dDNS IP and the current WAN IP and update it immediately after the change.

Best regards.

Dave

Options
5 Reply
Re:Custom dynamic dDNS issue
2023-02-10 07:29:44 - last edited 2023-02-10 07:30:37

Dear @grzywek,

grzywek wrote

Hi, I am setting up a custom dynamic DNS service. The lowest update interval is 1 hour - why is it so long? Why can't I change for 1 or 5 minutes?

Sorry that the current update interval is 1 hour, this has been forwarded to the engineer for investigation, will suggest the R&D team to provide lower interval option like 1 minute.

Anyway, the question is, what if there is a reboot of my router / WAN? Do I still have to wait 1 hour for the update? If so, then this is a complete nonsense.

No need to wait 1 hour for the update after a reboot. It will monitor and update DDNS immediately once the reboot is completed, though there is no log to indicate this event.

As a test, I did a manual WAN reboot. The router got a new public IP, but the dDNS service was not updated.

May I know the DDNS server name you used for the test?

How long did it take to get the DDNS updated after the reboot was completed?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-06 11:26:56 - last edited 2023-03-06 11:27:27

@Fae I think it does not work at all with "Custom" service provider

This is my config:

I replaced xxx with my real domain name.

Update URL is: /ddns/?p=AasdasdMAPI247WIJ9&x=[USERNAME][PASSWORD][DOMAIN][IP]

It works this way, when the URL is executed from within my network, the DNS gets updates.

However it does not work with Omada - it gets never updated after WAN reconnecting, rebooting etc.

Options
2023-03-06 11:58:06

Hello @grzywek 

Please don't modify the [USERNAME] and [PASSWORD] as the real values. The only part to be modified here is after '@' and before '?'. Check out this post for details.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-06 15:12:39

@Fae I see but that is nonsense. Why am I obligated to include those variables in the URL?

My update URL of the custom service is as plain as: https://xxxxxxx . pl/ddns

and I don't want to be forced to include anything more in it like ips, passwords etc.

Options
2023-03-06 15:33:08

@grzywek 

Please see here - topic has ben discussed up and down.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/601112

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 794

Replies: 5

Related Articles