Clients to use controller hostname

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-24 10:38:49 - last edited 2023-01-27 08:56:00
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

Hello there,

We are having difficulty setting up a guest network with portal in our multi-site environment.

In fact, whatever the configuration (internal or external portal), the guests always try to contact our controller via his IP address to find out what they should do.

Unfortunately in our network configuration we are not able to route this traffic to the vlan of the controller and therefore to the controller itself.

If the guest could try to contact the controller by a hostname, we could play with the DNS and make these requests arrive via the WAN, but unfortunately despite the configuration below (see image) it is always the controller's ip which is sought by the guest.

Are we missing out on something ?
Are we screwed ? :')
Maybe an OC200 physical controller can have an IP in VLAN 1 but also one in Guest VLAN and provide the correct one to the client ?

Thanks !

Options
5 Reply
Re:Clients to use controller hostname
2023-01-25 08:11:16 - last edited 2023-01-27 08:56:00

infobri wrote

Hello there,

We are having difficulty setting up a guest network with portal in our multi-site environment.

In fact, whatever the configuration (internal or external portal), the guests always try to contact our controller via his IP address to find out what they should do.

Unfortunately in our network configuration we are not able to route this traffic to the vlan of the controller and therefore to the controller itself.

If the guest could try to contact the controller by a hostname, we could play with the DNS and make these requests arrive via the WAN, but unfortunately despite the configuration below (see image) it is always the controller's ip which is sought by the guest.

Are we missing out on something ?
Are we screwed ? :')
Maybe an OC200 physical controller can have an IP in VLAN 1 but also one in Guest VLAN and provide the correct one to the client ?

Thanks !

Dear  @infobri 

The Omada EAP portal is designed to be like that. 

Thank you for your kindly feedback! I will forward this feedback to the developer team for further evaluation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-01-25 08:45:27
Ok thank you, so unfortunately we won't be using omada for now... Hoping that it evolves because the solution is generally quite interesting :( Btw, a "sponsored email" function in the internal portal would be a big plus, currently there isn't really an equivalent, this is in my opinion the best method to prevent free connections on the guest network and to have reliable logs concerning the identity of people who connect (legally in France we must be able to find who did what on a public network, and go back up to 1 year of logs). Thanks
Options
2023-01-26 22:54:36

@infobri 

I ran across the same issue when I first setup the captive portal for our Guest WiFi.   The easiest workaround for me was to NAT the captive portal connections between the guest VLAN and the controllers VLAN.

Options
2023-01-27 08:55:52

@tmacdougall how did you do that and especially on which equipment? smiley

Options
2023-01-27 16:37:10

@infobri 

I'm using pfSense as the layer 3 router/firewall handling our Guest WiFi VLAN.  I just setup an Outbound NAT that translates the source IP from the Guest WiFi users IP to the LAN IP of the pfSense firewall.   The pfSense LAN interface is able to route it's way to the Omada Controller IP.  The Omada Controller (running on Windows) sees the connections as coming from the pfSense firewall LAN IP.

Options