Big packet loss on random occasions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-25 07:14:09
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hello community, 

Since last couple of days I'm facing a big problem with my home office setup that I've been running without any issues for the past year+. 

Basically what happens is that once in a while (could be every 10-ish minutes or once per hour) I loose access to internet. 

I'm running Er605 with two Eap225 - everything connected with poe to sg2428p and managed by oc200. Latest firmware installed. 

I think it all started when I rebooted my whole system couple of weeks ago. After a reboot I had a heartbeat missing on both AP followed by disconnected state. Now every time I reboot the system I have to manually reset the AP and provision it again. It's not like I'm doing it every day, but annoys me a bit. 

So when I was watching something on a popular streaming service and it paused the video to buffer it a bit it started to annoy me even more. 

I've reseted the ap again (TV said internet is down), changed from 5 to 2.4,messed with channels and signal strength. Nothing really worked. 

It seemed to happen only on evenings, so I could work properly during daytime - still minor inconvinience. But two days ago I got dropped from several teams calls and that was too much. 

Traceroute, ping - all of them shown some minor packet loss but with no real issue. And than pingplotter said that I'm simply loosing packets on my gateway, that is er605. 

Now, I'm not a networking wizard but how do I make sure that it is not my wifi or omada controller acting crazy with ap? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot it further? 

Thanks for all the help - really appreciate you taking the time to answer this probably easy question. 

Cheers! 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Big packet loss on random occasions
2023-01-26 05:17:44 - last edited 2023-01-26 05:22:41

@Llamaclysm 

If you connect your PC to the router directly, can you get a stable connection?

If you are not able to ping the router, then it's the router issue, or maybe there is a loop on your network, you will need to check the whole Ethernet cables.

On the OC200 controller log can you see any evidence on the Log->Event page? Like WAN down, router disconnected etc..

Is there any software using high upload bandwidth on your network? Some download application, video application may occupy high upload bandwidth and make all other devices can not enjoy the Internet. Do bandwidth control and limit each device's upload to 100-150kbps may solve the issue

Also there is little chance that is the ISP/Modem made the issue happen. Specially when you say the problem often happens in evening, it sounds like the ISP did not offer enough upload bandwidth to your house.

Options
2023-01-26 06:32:40

@Llamaclysm 

do you have apple TV or home pod??

previously, there were threads people analyzing the packets and found out that could relate to apple products? 

you can try to wireshark and anaylze the source 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-01-26 09:22:05

@Somnus ; Tedd404

First of all Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it.

I now feel stupid. Looks like I've got so lazy that I couldn't even come with the idea of connecting directly with router or via a switch. This would rule out AP / Switch or pinpointed it to a router. Great idea, I'll check it later today and update this thread with my findings.

I've already replaced all ethernet cabling and except 2 AP, OC200 and ER605 there is only a Synology unit connected, so I don't think it's cable related.

Log->Event page has some inputs in there, like:

[Failed]PF25V1XV failed to connected to EAP225_G with SSID "XXX" on channel 6 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)
Jan 24, 2023 20:23:53    - that's the message that I get when there is no internet on the laptop

EAP225_G was disconnected.
Jan 24, 2023 06:23:10    
EAP225_G was connected.
Jan 24, 2023 06:18:08    

That's what I get when I reboot my controller, any EAP gets connected for couple of minutes, than there is a hearthbeat missed and it gets disconnected.

Additionally, there is a lot of this kind of messages:

wlan0 is disconnected from SSID "XXX" on EAP225_G (4m connected, 12.37KB).
Jan 26, 2023 09:38:16    
wlan0 is connected to EAP225_G with SSID "XXX" on channel 6.
Jan 26, 2023 09:28:17    

wlan0 is disconnected from SSID "XXX" on EAP225_G (4m connected, 12.72KB).
Jan 26, 2023 08:37:46    
Jan 26, 2023 08:27:57    
wlan0 is disconnected from SSID "XXX" on EAP225_G (4m connected, 12.26KB).
Jan 26, 2023 07:37:46    
Jan 26, 2023 07:28:06    
wlan0 is disconnected from SSID "XXX" on EAP225_G (4m connected, 12.62KB).
Jan 26, 2023 06:37:45    
Jan 26, 2023 06:27:45    
wlan0 is disconnected from SSID "XXX" on EAP225_G (4m connected, 12.90KB).
Jan 26, 2023 05:37:15    
Jan 26, 2023 05:27:24    
wlan0 is disconnected from SSID "XXX" on EAP225_G (5m connected, 12.39KB).
Jan 26, 2023 04:37:15    
Jan 26, 2023 04:27:33    

Looks like this only happens for one of the AP, almost in exact same intervals...

that "wlan0" part is a link that allows me to open a device page but there is nothing in there basically - only a MAC address. Is that a LAN interface on EAP225 that is marked as wlan0?

Interesting is that it's the AP that I'm connected to during office hours, maybe I should change the AP with the other one and see if there is any difference.

I do have a Synology box that syncs my photos from mobile devices, but I'm no instagram pro and if I make 2 pictures a week that's a lot!

From the Omada dashboard it looks like I'm not utilising 20% of the bandwidth so I'd assume the up/down stream shouldn't be a problem, but I'll limit the bandwidth just to rule it out.

If I'm getting a lot of packet loss on the router in my internal network I'd assume that this shouldn't be a problem related to ISP, but I'll give them a call later today to check if there is anything on their end that they can see and I'll reset it and check the same way I'll do it with router - I'll just connect directly to see if it's broken.

apple TV or home pod - none of this. I only have some ~1y old Xiaomi TV Box, 2 mobile phones (Samsung), 2 tablets (Samsung), 2 TVs, 2 Roombas and I guess that is it (there are more devices that connect to wifi, but they are mostly off like an oven or washmachine).

regarding that wireshark idea - I'd have to connect to a switch directly, do a port mirroring and copy all the traffic from a port that goes to a router and send it to my laptop and capture everything, right?

Thanks!

Options
2023-01-26 09:28:38 - last edited 2023-01-26 11:27:50

@Llamaclysm 

Same issue here.

Have an ER7212PC and 6 AP, all TP equipment.

Since few days the Omada-SDN of the ER7212PC restarts serval times a day - every 15-30 minute packet losses (from 3 to 250).

Did anyone know, if its possible to configure the packet size by my self?

Had know idea how to fix ..

Options
2023-01-27 06:52:38

@Llamaclysm 

Also try the 5Ghz only SSID.

Channel 6 is only available on 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi. But 2.4Ghz is not as good as 5Ghz

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 508

Replies: 5