ER605 Firmware 2.1.1 - Working/Notes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-30 13:54:51 - last edited 2023-02-01 00:22:17
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.1

Upgraded it, then it messed up and had a mis-aligned configuratiuon error so I did a force provision....... and just left it, maybe like 15-20 mins later it seemed to have sorted itself after restarting like twice over with "configuring" each time

What I will say is so far much like 2.1 Beta.....  When you make a change it's SLOW to save it, even the standalone which I tested was SLOW to save changes.  Firmware 2.01 is superior in terms of stability and speed.

I'll leave it for now and see how it goes but I'm on a OC200 with Omada 5.7.4 STILL!

What I don't get is WHY TP Link has had Omada 5.8.4 out for WEEKS on Windows but it's not available on their DEDICATED HARDWARE for it?

Seems to be a real priority and order issue going on there.  None of the new features in 2.1.1 firmware will also be VISIBLE to users like myself until we get Omada 5.8.4 on the OC200 etc.

Hopefully that will be arriving soon?????  

If you run into issues, Omada 5.7.4 and ER605 2.01 firmware seems to work well.  If I have any issue I'll just downgrade again.

Update *amended* (next day) ..... I had previously stated CPU usage had increased I had read the graphs wrong, memory use it what has increased a fair bit.  As per a post below this, the latency did increase as shown in my graph below ....... this can be fixed by going to Devices and changing the ECHO server from default to say Cloudflare eg 1.1.1.1.  This dropped my latency down to under 20ms for an average.    Still awaiting the latest Omada however.

Options
7 Reply
Re:ER605 Firmware 2.1.1 - Working/Notes
2023-01-31 06:57:49

@MrHC1983 

TP-Link use a slow ECHO server try change to 1.1.1.1 

Options
2023-01-31 08:37:52

MrHC1983 wrote

Upgraded it, then it messed up and had a mis-aligned configuratiuon error so I did a force provision....... and just left it, maybe like 15-20 mins later it seemed to have sorted itself after restarting like twice over with "configuring" each time

What I will say is so far much like 2.1 Beta.....  When you make a change it's SLOW to save it, even the standalone which I tested was SLOW to save changes.  Firmware 2.01 is superior in terms of stability and speed.

I'll leave it for now and see how it goes but I'm on a OC200 with Omada 5.7.4 STILL!

What I don't get is WHY TP Link has had Omada 5.8.4 out for WEEKS on Windows but it's not available on their DEDICATED HARDWARE for it?

Seems to be a real priority and order issue going on there.  None of the new features in 2.1.1 firmware will also be VISIBLE to users like myself until we get Omada 5.8.4 on the OC200 etc.

Hopefully that will be arriving soon?????  

If you run into issues, Omada 5.7.4 and ER605 2.01 firmware seems to work well.  If I have any issue I'll just downgrade again.

Update (next day) .....  So I've noticed an issue now.  CPU usage has increased substancially.  Mine used to sit around 30-40% now it's above 60% and the latency reported on Omada's dashboard has doubled.  It normally sat 200-250ms now it's 350-400ms.  As below.

Dear  @MrHC1983 

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. 

The ticket ID is TKID230153069, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-01-31 17:56:27

@shberge

Thank you!!!!  I saw that echo field when I first built up my environment but didn't know what it was for and I had been annoyed by the completely bogus latency number that always showed in the performance chart.

Options
2023-02-01 00:24:27
Thanks didn't know this, fixed it. Still strange how just updating the firmware doubled the default tho.... Was 200-300ms (250ms avg) on 2.01 firmware and with 2.1.1 firmware averages 350-400ms. "using their default echo server". So one could still presume that the firmware is laggy....
Options
2023-02-12 14:20:09

Just coming back to this......... so I ran 2.1.1 firmware since it was officially released.  Once I had it going I barely touchd the OC200 Omada on 5.7.6 due to how long I had messed with it when it screwed up on that buggy 2.1 update prior to the official release of 2.1.1.

Well today I logged in to make some small changes and long story short the ER605 **** itself.  It went into a adopting, provisioning, configuring, loop.........  internet up, internet down.... eventually giving up on even trying to adopt it.

So I factory reset it and tried to reconnected it, wound up in the same situation.  Oddly enough when you tried to goto the Standalone Login page for the ER605 it also just white page no login....... like it was frozen.

-------  So after 2.1.1 had seemed fine, the moment I had touched my Omada configuration...... just added some external IP's to block on the ACL etc, it **** itself.

6:32pm went down, wasn't sorted until near 9pm.

In the end I rolled back the firmware to 2.0.1 as we know works fine........... and sure enough it connected and 'worked fine'.

Personally I think some TP Link blokes need to be sacked.  I dunno who's fault it is, but this is enterprise, business grade hardware/software and your releasing stuff like this....  

You've had this stuff in circulation for quite some time........  how can it get messed up this badly.  2.5 hours from just applying some settings........  to get stable again.  

If you were charging onsite rates to your client between $100-150 an hour.....  Put it this way I will not be using this in another business setup now.  Totally unacceptable.

Options
2023-02-12 15:10:37

@MrHC1983 Seems all these issues are when used with the controller. Stand alone seems fine. I started investing in Omada, and went with the ER605, SG2008P, and 2xEAP610. I think I will stay away from the controller, as everything is working perfectly for me.

TP-Link really needs to invest in their firmware team, because this is the single biggest complaint I read about them. If they can nail their firmware QC and release schedual, they would dominate this segment.  

Options
2023-02-13 00:19:19

@Hemicrusher Yep Omada is the issue.  I did rip out the OC200 and try to do a stand alone setup but found a few issues.

Omada works better for managing WIFI just all the way around is 10x better.  I ran into issues where my EAP615 and EAP610 would winge about each other and just not show a WIFI network, even if one was off etc.....  then it wouldn't do a mixed 2.5 and 5Ghz network on the EAP610......  VPN I just couldn't get going properly on the ER605 in stand alone properly.

Omada when it works fine is 10x easier......  the intention if they ever get it right makes alot of sense.  I was able to go from the stand alone mess back to Omada in 10-15 mins.....  just boom restore config, readopt everything they reconfigured as it was and boom I was away again the last time I had major issues.

I do agree tho the ER605 by itself.........  works perfectly fine.  The omada team just need a kick up the backside for the mess.  I mean they released the new version 5.8.4 on Windows FIRST instead of their own dedicated hardware!  But then released a firmware for their dedicated hardware ER605......  which essentially NEEDS 5.8.4 and it's been what?  6 weeks since the intended update to the ER605 and still no Omada Update for the OC200.

It's a giant mess.  I'll stick to my ER605 on 2.0.1 and OC200 on Omada 5.7.6 until they sort out their nonsense.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 843

Replies: 7