Confused about rate limit settings in network vs. client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-01 19:50:30
Model: OC300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

It isn't clear to me how rate limiting works. I currently have a custom rate limit created that is applied to a wireless network "A" - then when clients log in to wireless network "A" I can see in the dashboard that X number of clients are connected. If I click on one of those clients it has (in 'config') yet another choice to set a rate limit. I don't want to have to rate limit each person individually, I want all clients that join that wireless network to be subject to the rate limit defined at the network level.

How does that actually work?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Confused about rate limit settings in network vs. client
2023-02-01 20:51:12

@OrangeStreet 

In short its a tiering effect, the rate limit at the network level will take priority over anything set at the device level if lesser..OR   whatever is the most restrictive

For example.. at network i set the limit as 5mbps, on the device as 10mbps..   i will get 5mbps..

Setting at the network is just easier all round, the device level is more for one off changes, usually for a single device and not something you would use for a lot of devices.    Eg one of the devices on the 5mbps network, set at devices fo 2mbps and it will then be restricted to 2mbps.

If you are happy with all devices on the network restriction, then its fine to just ignore the device level.  

However bear in mind, network level restricts will not only affect Internet access speeds, but speeds in general over the network (file copy, transfer, storage etc). 

Options
2023-02-02 00:26:58 - last edited 2023-02-02 00:39:59

Ok - so my goal is to ensure that any client (resident in my case) when they join the wireless network that they not be given any more than 10Mbps per client rate (download) so that no one person can kill the total internet bandwidth (which is 60Mbps at this time during testing). 

You can see from the edit screen of the wireless network in question that it implies that the rate is set "per client bandwidth usage" - if that is the case then doesn't that mean their Internet bandwidth is rate limited on a per client basis? - please see the below screenshot - key part circled in red

Options
2023-02-02 08:23:27

@OrangeStreet 

Yes, it means every client connected to this wifi will be limited according to the bandwidth you set up. No need to do bandwidth control on clients list one by one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 316

Replies: 3