EAP Mesh causing EAP to stop operating in 5GHz spectrum

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-02 16:20:27
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

I have this issue I need to solve.

I have two devices establish a mesh connection, but then one of them goes offline - the Uplink EAP that stays online outright stops operating in 5GHz spectrum.

With band steering it makes that EAP a black hole for all 5GHz devices around it.

The UI doesn't even tell you what devices are in the mesh network at that point, the only way to know it is when there's an error while trying to run a 5GHz scan on the EAP.

Right now the only solution that works is to disable Mesh network in Site Settings altogether and restart the mesh EAPs.

Are there any mitigation solutions?

If you wish to reproduce:

1. Enable Band steering

2. Enable Mesh network and fallback

3. Disconnect one EAP from the wired network and let it fallback to mesh

4. Take note which EAPs formed the mesh

5. Shut down the unwired EAP (from step 3)

6. Try to connect to the EAP that established the mesh network, that is still online 

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP Mesh causing EAP to stop operating in 5GHz spectrum
2023-02-05 12:49:01

@jalexoid 

Having trouble wrapping my thoughts around what you are describing. You state "I have two devices establish a mesh connection"  This suggests you have a wired EAP (ROOT), and one remote EAP. In your list it sounds like you are describing more than two EAPS and in step 3 removing the LAN cable from the ROOT EAP. AT that point you have no mesh.

I think if you can better clarify the situation verbally or with a diagram you may get more input.

The best I could come up with is you have one wired EAP(ROOT) and one remote EAP, and when the remote EAP goes off line for whatever reason, the ROOT Eap 5Ghz stops working. If that is the situation you probably need to return that piece of hardware.

Options
Re:EAP Mesh causing EAP to stop operating in 5GHz spectrum
2023-02-12 23:42:01

@RickJamesBish Diagram below

Link from #2 top #7 is unstable, sometimes the cable disconnects.

EAP #6 and #7 are physically close and are able to establish a mesh link.

However if #7 is turned off, #6 fails to establish connections in the 5GHz range. 

I have band steering on, that results in all 5GHz devices not able to connect to WLAN while near #6.

I had to turn off Mesh for the site to make #6 operate again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 254

Replies: 2