Losing internet whilst moving between access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-06 21:04:09 - last edited 2023-02-07 01:47:54

I have a home WiFi setup which functions okayish.

My main concern is that when I move in the house I experience:

VPN connectivity drops whilst moving from basement to ground floor

sometimes requires a WiFi on/off after moving between floors to be able to access the internet

My current setup:

Tplink EAP 225 (ground floor, basement)

tplink archer ax53 (1st floor, AP mode, DHCP off)

huawei EG8145V5 (ground floor, default ISP device, hidden in the wardrobe, WiFi off, only routing, connected to a switchboard in the wardrobe which is connected to the RJ45 wall plates in different rooms)

Ideally I wanted to use the tplink router for rooting.. but then I need to put the router to the wardrobe too which would shade most of the AP signal.

What's your suggestion?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Losing internet whilst moving between access points
2023-02-07 13:56:06

@Andrask 

You can't do seamless roaming with a bunch of random equipment--what you are experiencing is very normal.  The EAP225's should support seamless roaming, but you'll need an Omada controller (software or OC200) to enable and manage it.  You will need to disable WiFi on the Archer and replace it with another EAP225 or similarly capable TPlink AP.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Losing internet whilst moving between access points
2023-02-10 13:14:10

@Andrask 

You can make this work... but it will take a wireless site survery with in your home... and IF the APs support mini rssi.  

Making sure you have enoughs signal between AP is the main issue.  But like in the previous post, your design does make it harder.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 298

Replies: 2