Managed switch VLAN and BT Business Hub

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-11 15:50:56
Model: TL-SG2008  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.6

I'm setting up a set of 3 independent offices in one building. We've just had BT fibre installed and have a BT Business Hub with 4G backup.

I want to separate the offices onto individual VLANs so that each is protected from each other but all can access the internet.

I know I can do this with a gateway router like the TL-ER605 but if I don't use the BT hub I lose 4G backup and also BT's Cloud Voice service.

1) Can I use the BT hub with the managed switch running multiple VLANS?

2) If not, can I put the ER605 between the BT hub and the switch?

Also, I'd want DHCP to dole out addresses on each VLAN, but does that mean I need a DHCP server for each VLAN?

Help!

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Managed switch VLAN and BT Business Hub
2023-02-13 12:05:16

Dear @PhilUpstairs ,

PhilUpstairs wrote

1) Can I use the BT hub with the managed switch running multiple VLANS?

2) If not, can I put the ER605 between the BT hub and the switch?

Also, I'd want DHCP to dole out addresses on each VLAN, but does that mean I need a DHCP server for each VLAN?

Thanks for taking the time to report the issue to our community!

1) If your BT router supports Multi-Nets NAT, you don't need to use the ER605, just need to set the corresponding VLAN on the switch, they will work.

2) If your router doesn't support, ER605 can be put between your router and switch, but here will be double NAT, suggest you may use the BT router in Bridge mode.

3) Yes, you need DHCP Server for each VLAN, we called VLAN Interface, here are two different methods to achieve, please refer:

How to create multi networks and manage network behavior with ACL on Omada Gateway

ow to build up a multi-nets network via Multi-Nets NAT feature on TP-Link router with L2+/L3 switches

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 296

Replies: 1